HomeQ&ATranslate the Tweet: Descansando

Translate the Tweet: Descansando

6

Let's see how we do this time. This one is a bit tricky, because it does not have much context. Still, if you give it some thought it shouldn't be too hard.

Descansando el trasnocho mientras espero mensajito para seguir. Todo bien, pero mucho trabajo

Native Speakers please give the students a chance to get it right!

wink

Please see an explanation of this tweet, and the reason for my chosen answer, in my post marked: "Explanation". This was fun!

edited by Gekkosan
posted by Gekkosan
Ok, one tip: The person who wrote this has not been to a party. He's working hard on a project. - Gekkosan, JUL 4, 2010
This was a really good one. - --Mariana--, JUL 5, 2010
It was challenging! - webdunce, JUL 5, 2010

3

Ok my last try - I think everyone else has gone to bed. (This with the clue - he was working all night). Resting up after my 'all-nighter' while I wait for a text to continue. All going well but it's a lot of work.

posted by margaretbl
Great work everyone! Delores, Shelly, Marianne, Ian and Galsally all came up with great replies! - Gekkosan, JUL 5, 2010
All right, I think this is as close as we can get. There were several excellent contributions, but I find that this is the closest in word and spirit to the original tweet. Please see my post marked "Explanation" - below. - Gekkosan, JUL 5, 2010
3

Taking a break from pulling an "all-nighter" while I wait for a short message (text?) in order to proceed. Everything's ok, but there's a lot of work.

Could there be a missing d in front of el trasnocho, ie, descansando "del" trasnocho, I think my try would make more sense if so. If this person is working hard on a project, I imagine he has to put in lots of "all-nighters", very late hours, but is now taking a break whilst waiting on a message of some sort in order to proceed with the project.

edited by Sheily
posted by Sheily
Very good! - Gekkosan, JUL 5, 2010
2

Explanation

Ok, the original tweet:

"Descansando el trasnocho mientras espero mensajito para seguir. Todo bien, pero mucho trabajo"

I think we can dispense with the last bit, which essentially everyone got right: "All's fine, but there's lots of work":

Two things threw everyone off: "el trasnocho", and "espero mensajito" (this one surprised me a bit). The problem with "trasnocho" is compounded by the fact that is preceded by "descansando el", to make an unorthodox, but valid, expression.

Trasnocho, as several people figured out (with huge credits to Marianne!), means to stay up late,or all night. "Me trasnoché" - "I stayed up very late" or "I stayed up all night". I went through the night.

So: "Descansando el trasnocho": "Resting from, or after, having been up all night. "Pulling an all-nighter",or "burning the midnight candle" are good English equivalent expressions, in this context.

"Espero mensajito": I wait for a text message, and SMS.

So: "mientras espero mensajito para seguir". What happenned? My friend had been working all night on a project, and then came to an end, for some reason. Maybe the client had to check the work done thus far, or maybe more material has to be provided - we don't know. But he needs some sort of "go-ahead", by means of a text message, before he can proceed. While he waits, my friend is resting, recovering his energies, in readiness to proceed.

So I think Margaret's answer best sums it up: "Resting up after my 'all-nighter' while I wait for a text to continue. All going well but it's a lot of work."

Very good team work, and some really fun, creative answers there! LOL

posted by Gekkosan
¿Me pregunto por qué no sea "descansando después del trasnocho"? - webdunce, JUL 5, 2010
By the way, hay dos expresiones: "burning the midnight oil" (i.e., staying up late) y "burning the candle at both ends" (overworking oneself), I think you have mixed the two a bit. :) - webdunce, JUL 5, 2010
"Descansando el trasnocho" is shorter (remember this is twitter), and it's understandable. As for the expression, blame Marianne! I copied it straight from her! :-) - Gekkosan, JUL 5, 2010
How great! Very interesting and I finally have a good word for a 'text'. Thankyou so much for this Gekko! - margaretbl, JUL 5, 2010
that was fun and educational...thanks ! - bill24, JUL 5, 2010
Yeah, I said "burning the candle" and should have said "buring the oil" Sorry! Jejeje - --Mariana--, JUL 5, 2010
2

Taking a break from the all-nighter while I wait on a text (message) to continue. Everything is going fine but a lot of work

posted by Izanoni1
Very good. But "taking a break" conveys a different meaning from "descansando el trasnocho", to me. - Gekkosan, JUL 5, 2010
2

Recovering after working all night, I am waiting for a text in order to continue (with the project). Everything's fine. Too much work. tongue rolleye

posted by Delores--Lindsey
Good. This is essentially correct. - Gekkosan, JUL 5, 2010
2

My thought is that he isn't resting at all, he is still working. The thing that is "resting" is the "transnocho" and I don't even think it necessarily has to do with the late night. Very interesting puzzle.

My thought: He is in some kind of night position > The night owl is taking a rest while waiting for a sign to continue. All is well, but there's a lot of work (to be done).

edited by jeezzle
posted by jeezzle
This is a lot closer than your original attempt. - Gekkosan, JUL 4, 2010
2

Truly, this is the last try.

Resting after working all night, I'm waiting for a text message to go ahead. Everything is fine. Too much work.

blank stare

posted by Delores--Lindsey
or "most of the night" - Delores--Lindsey, JUL 4, 2010
Very, very close! - Gekkosan, JUL 4, 2010
2

One more shot antes de darme por vencida.\

Resting after staying up late while I wait for a text message to go ahead. shut eye

edited by Delores--Lindsey
posted by Delores--Lindsey
Hey, good for you I bet mensajito is a text!!!!! - margaretbl, JUL 4, 2010
Now we're on the right track! :-) - Gekkosan, JUL 4, 2010
"por vencida", if you are female, Delores. - Gekkosan, JUL 4, 2010
This thing has my brain so addled, I'm not sure who I am. :-S - Delores--Lindsey, JUL 4, 2010
2

Resting up from the night out while I wait for a message to continue. All good but lots of work. tongue rolleye

posted by margaretbl
This one is truly a beast, but tons of fun!!!! - Delores--Lindsey, JUL 4, 2010
Pretty warm! Nice try! - Gekkosan, JUL 4, 2010
1

Taking a break after burning the midnight candle while I wait for a message to resume. It's alright, but it's a lot of work.

P.s. To the other SD members: "trasnocho" is in the R.A.E.

WEll, rats, I looked in everyting but. lol - Delores--Lindsey, JUL 5, 2010
Hmm. Comments *are* disappearing! I had written that this was a correct answer! - Gekkosan, JUL 5, 2010
1

Another try:

Taking a night off while I wait for a short message in order to proceed. Everything's fine, but there's a lot of work.

posted by Sheily
Nope. Not "a night off". - Gekkosan, JUL 5, 2010
Gracias. De hecho, habia querido borrar esta respuesta. Como se puede hacer eso? - Sheily, JUL 5, 2010
Don't worry about it. The "wrong" answers are good learning tools too! - Gekkosan, JUL 5, 2010
1

Relaxing after staying up all night, in the meantime, I'm waiting for a message/text in order to go ahead. Everything's fine, but there's a lot of work.

posted by Sheily
1

Resting my weary bones while waiting for a text to continue. All's well, but lots of work.

?

posted by galsally
1

Another attempt!

Giving the "all-nighter" a rest while I wait for a short message/text in order to proceed. Everything's ok, but there's a lot of work.

posted by Sheily
1

Resting from a night out at the clubs, waiting for a text message. All is fine, but there is much work.

posted by bill24
Not bad, except that in this case I already gave the tip that it wasn't a night out at the clubs. And what's the text message for? :-) - Gekkosan, JUL 5, 2010