HomeQ&AWhat is your name? Interrogative pronoun

What is your name? Interrogative pronoun

2

I am using my "Practice Makes Perfect" workbook on pronouns and came across the use of the interrogative pronoun ¿Qué and ¿Cuál. The following question is the same and there were a few examples but not enough to see the context of where you would use it in a general conversation sense.

¿Qué es tu nombre?
¿Cuál es tu nombre? and then to add more confusion

¿Cómo te llamas?

The 3rd choice is what you learn in Spanish 1and I think it is more common?

All three questions translate to: What{Which} is your name?

Gracias

posted by foxluv

1

qué vs cuál

Cuál usually is used before es and other forms of ser when not seeking a definition:

1

I think that Cual is used when you have two or more things that are similar and you are asked to choose among them. For example: "Cual is tu nombre? Kelly o Kelley.

posted by sylviawest
"Which one?" - 0074b507, JUL 4, 2010
0

When you ask "como te llamas?" you are literally asking how a person calls him/herself. Like sylvia said, "cual" asks which one out of several things that are similar.

posted by 0097f7e0