HomeQ&Acigarro vs. cigarillo

cigarro vs. cigarillo

1

I work in a grocery store and when hispanics want to buy cigarettes, most of them ask for "cigarros." The dictionaries that I've looked at say that cigarro means cigar and that cigarillo means cigarette. When I ask the hispanics about it, they insist that cigarro means cigarette.

posted by Sofia2010
Excellent question. I always found this very odd because I spent years around Mexicans who smoked and they always said cigarro for cigarette. I guess people from some places say cigarillos but I've never heard it. - alba3, JUL 4, 2010

1

I guess it's a bit of a regional thing, cigarrillo and cigarro can both be cigarettes and cigarro habano is cigar as far as I know. (Also in Spain they used to call cigars 'puros' but possibly that has changed).

posted by margaretbl
You are right Margaret. Cigars can be either "Puro", "tabaco", "habano" or "cigarro". - Gekkosan, JUL 3, 2010
There you go, thx - margaretbl, JUL 3, 2010