HomeQ&AGustar me confunde!

Gustar me confunde!

1
  1. Recently 2 Mexican men told me "Te gusto" meaning they like me. I've always been taught that gustar can only be conjugated in the gusta and gustan forms.

1. Would the proper way of saying "I like you" be "Me gustas"? Because gustar should be conjugated with the subject which is "tú" in this example.
posted by Sofia2010

1

If you'd like to hear it in a song: Manu Chau

"Me Gustas Tú" is the second single from Manu Chao's second solo album, Próxima Estación: Esperanza. It has proved to be one of the artist's most popular songs worldwide.

posted by Kiwi-Girl
1

Gustar is a funny verb. It means "to give pleasure to".

So: "te gusto" means: "I give pleasure to you". "me gustas" means: "You give me pleasure", or "I like you".

I don't know where you heard that you can't conjugate it in the tú form.

posted by 003de4f8
1

Would the proper way of saying "I like you" be "Me gustas"? Because gustar should be conjugated with the subject which is "tú" in this example.

That would be correct, though keep in mind that such a saying would be rich in romantic overtones.

"Me caes bien" is a far safer way to say, "I like you" without any romance involved. It's a very common expression for this reason.

posted by Goyo
0

Te gusto, if gusto is a verb here, would mean "You like me" (Literally, I am pleasing to you). This would, in my mind, not be something one generally informed another of (it IS possible, though). Rather, one would tend to ask this...I think. ¿Te gusto? (Do you like me?)

On the other hand, a man highly confident that he had won the woman's affection might declare such a thing: Admit it! You like me! / ¡Admítelo! ¡Te gusto!

But I wonder if they might not have said "¡Qué gusto!", using gusto as a noun. If I'm not mistaken, that means things like "Such a pleasure!", "How nice!", "Such taste!" (like taste in fashion, for example), etc. I think it is frequently used when someone has been introduced to another. Kind of like saying "It was nice meeting you, too." But, it looks quite flexible in meaning and could mean almost anything, I suppose.

edited by webdunce
posted by webdunce
0

yo te gusto = I am pleasing to you = You like me

Then, (a tí) me gustas = you are pleasing to me = I like you.

A ellos me gustan = I like them

At least that's how I understand it, it's confusing to me too once you start talking about people and not objects.

edited by TheSilentHero
posted by TheSilentHero
0

No sé, that has me confused too! What you said makes sense, usually we say "gusta" because we are referring to a thing which would be third person. But if you are talking TO a person, that would be second person, thus "gustas."

I think I have also heard of te gusto though, just don't know how that works... maybe it is idomatic?

posted by aclongo