HomeQ&AProblem with verbs - to enjoy?

Problem with verbs - to enjoy?

0

As I listen to my verb digital learning lessons, I have started to hear the same translations for different verbs and now I am confused. I know of at least 3 verbs that means "to enjoy so now it is time to see some usage to see which verb to use when.

A few sentences to start out with:

I enjoy reading vampire novels.
I enjoy watching football on TV.

Don't you enjoy seeing Steve get in trouble at school?

gustar - disfrutar - gozar - poseer {they also show tener?}

Gracias in advance!

posted by foxluv

1

I have noticed that, too. But if you look at the definitions for each verb on SpanishDict (just type the words in the box above next to "translate"), you will see that they are a little bit different.

For example, gustar means "to be pleasing" while disfrutar specifically means "to enjoy". Although gustar is used to mean "to enjoy" or "to like", in reality people are saying "I am pleased by reading vampire novels" or "I am pleased by watching football on TV". On the other hand, disfrutar is simply the verb "to like". (Check this page for more details on the different verb forms.)

edited by JoelMatthew
posted by JoelMatthew