HomeQ&AAlto, paren and para

Alto, paren and para

2

I was just reviewing a vocabulary deck for the classroom and found paren for stop. I kind of panicked when I searched alto and found high. Number 10 on the list of meanings is Alto the interjection.

So that gives me alto(stop) and alto(tall). ... and para(stop) and para(from)?

I am so glad the decks have only one right answer so that I can feel like I got something right. But I get brain vertigo when I find alto, alto and para para.

Can anybody help me deal with this? I mean how will people know what I am talking about?

posted by aprender100

1

As in English many words have different meanings in different contexts. You will find it easy from context to tell where the meaning for alto is stop or tall or whether para means stop or for. There are other words that change meanings whether they are used with a reflexive pronoun or not, that are much more difficult to analyze the meaning. Don't worry, those two are easy words to distinguish meanings.

0

Context huh. I supposed that learning a language would be intricate, But this is one of the times I wish a word could be a word and stay that way.

¡Alto! Mi hijo is alto. (Stop. My son is tall and instead the translator is giving me highly and high.)

Deseo mi hijo hace para crecimiento. (I wish my son would stop growing and instead I am getting for!)

Neither of those two sentences worked out the way I wanted them to. But I guess it's close enough for horse shoes or at least a post about learning frustrations. confused grin

p.s. I just found this link text and after reading it I felt better.

edited by aprender100
posted by aprender100