HomeQ&Ato charge, as in to charge a battery or a camera

to charge, as in to charge a battery or a camera

3

I don't know how to say that I need to charge the card in my digital camera.

posted by jardinera

4

Charge the card? Do you mean charge the battery?

In Mexico we call small batteries like those in a camera "pilas".

Tengo que cargar las pilas de mi camara.

posted by petersenkid2
4

Cargar

3

Necesito cargar la tarjeta de memoria en .. = I need to charge the memory card in my ...

Tengo que cargar... = I have to charge...

I will let you work out the rest ..

edited by FELIZ77
posted by FELIZ77
Oops. Of course you're right. - petersenkid2, JUL 2, 2010
1

A Cuban friend uses the term "baterías recordables" for rechargable batteries.

posted by Sheily
LOL, Baterías recordables it's "Remarkable batteries". If they are remarkable, where can I get one of those?. - Sargento-Chinicuil, JUL 6, 2010
or "memorable batteries". Older batteries did have cyclic memory, which may be where the term came from. - 0074b507, JUL 6, 2010
I think Cuban spanish is another language unto itself! - Sheily, JUL 6, 2010
1

I need to charge the memory card in my ...

This is weird in any language. A memory card in a camera is a passive device (does not store energy). You may need to empty/erase your memory card (if you've taken a bunch of pictures). Batteries (the rechargeable variety), on the other hand, may need to be "charged" (hace falta cargarlas)..

posted by samdie
cargar/descargar still works for load/unload (upload/download to the internet/computer/camera card) even though, transfer, erase, copy, etc. are more specific - 0074b507, JUL 3, 2010
I'd forgotten about up/download (in Spanish) but charege/discharge aren't used that way in English. - samdie, JUL 4, 2010
So what does "charge a memory card" mean in English? - samdie, JUL 4, 2010
Charge a memory card = Cargar una tarjeta de memoria, but it make no sense in spanish. Because cargar can also mean "Upload", or "Fill" and "de memoria" can be "Fulfiill a card with memories", which I think is not the case. - Sargento-Chinicuil, JUL 6, 2010