HomeQ&ANo "noun comparisons" in the Comparisons Reference

No "noun comparisons" in the Comparisons Reference

1

In this page, Comparisons there is only comparative adjectives and nothing for nouns and verbs. If this information is anywhere else on this site, I couldn't find it. Maybe this could be added to the current Comparatives reference page?

For example, comparisons using nouns:

usage: tanto(-a,-os,-as) + noun + como

• Tanto las naranjas como las bananas se venden en la sección de frutas y verduras
  • As many oranges as bananas are sold in the fruit and vegetable section.
  • Juan tiene tanto dinero como Carlos.
  • Juan has as much money as Carlos.

Comparisons of actions (not things) when there is no adjective, you can use:
verb + tanto + como

• Sus empleados trabajan tanto como mis empleados.
  • You employees work as much as my employees.

If there is an adjective when comparing actions, use verb + tan + adjective (masculine form) + como

• Sus empleados trabajan tan duro como mis empleados.
  • Your employees work as hard as my employees.

Hopefully this is useful to someone.

posted by Jack-OBrien

0

Hi JackOBrien I´ve just had another look at your example - should it not be Tantas las naranjas como las bananas? If not I´ve missed the whole learning point taken from the site gfreed posted. Please advise. Thanks

posted by caza
My example was taken directly from a text book, yet it does appear to be wrong. It's being used as an adjective and should change gender/quantity to match the noun. - Jack-OBrien, JUL 5, 2010
All the more to confuse us! Thanks for responding. Have spent the afternoon revising Comparisons of Equality, Inequality and Superlatives, must say I now feel more confident. - caza, JUL 5, 2010
0

tan, tanto

tan...adverb...used with other adverbs and adjectives

tanto...adjective....use with nouns

This was a good site to be directed to. - caza, JUL 5, 2010
0

Yes, I have looked for something similar to this as well as I have done comparisons in class but not fully understood it as all our instruction is in Spanish. Thanks

posted by caza
0

Very useful to me! As a point of grammar, I had never considered that one might speak grammatically of comparisons when speaking of nouns and/or verbs. Very interesting. Thank you.

posted by Janice