HomeQ&AWord of the day confusion

Word of the day confusion

2

I am a little confused. The word of the day has " El ombligo de la semana " translated as Hump day (Wednesday), but in the phrasebook, El ombligo de la semana brings up weekend, (el) fin de semana. Since "El ombligo de la semana" seems to translate out more to the center of the week, wouldn't the Hump day be the correct translation for this idiom?

posted by sanlee

0

I agree that the word "ombligo" should be the middle of the week, so now it depends on what day we consider to be the middle. We use a work-week to determine that Wednesday is in the middle of a week; however, do other places call Saturday and Sunday the middle of their week? I don't know.

I can't imagine anywhere where Sat/Sun are deemed to be in the middle of a week.

edited by --Mariana--