HomeQ&A"Un alijo decente de menús"

"Un alijo decente de menús"

2

Does this mean "a decent choice of menus"?

Saludos, Chica

posted by chicasabrosa
yes, that's it - 00494d19, JUL 1, 2010
Thanks! - chicasabrosa, JUL 2, 2010

1

Alijo also translates to cache, Cache means a stash / store of food or valuables.so I would think an ' un alijo decente de menús en casa "woud translate to a decent stash of recipes, and the food to cook them in her house.

posted by albert-fabrik-
See that makes sense, good. - margaretbl, JUL 1, 2010
2

Hi all,

As I read it more and more, I can interpret the sentence as the guy meaning that he liked a woman who had cookbooks for goodies, delectable, forbidden dishes... I don't know, that is my guess.

posted by LuisaGomezBartle
2

Hi Chica - I have hesitated to respond because to me this is quite a strange sentence but I guess it could be regional or something. To me 'alijo' is kind of like contraband or smuggled items - for example 'un alijo de drogas' a drug shipment. So I am stymied as far as this - where did this appear?

posted by margaretbl
2

Hi Margaret,

I was reading an article in the Spanish version of Glamour Magazine (Tu mundo pareja). It is about men liking or disliking things about their significant others. The full sentence reads: "En el pasado, me gustaba que una mujer tuviera un alijo decente de menús en casa". I could only come up with "In the past, I liked it when a woman had a decent choice of menus at home".

The story then goes on about the man liking the fact that his girlfriend cooked certain dishes for him. I also found "alijo" to translate as "contraband" but that doesn't seem right in this context...

posted by chicasabrosa
1

My goodness! Well there you go - they certainly meant that particular word. Hopefully someone will come on and say 'yes - it is used all the time in ...' But wow, to me, it is veeery strange. I right away thought of them having made a noun out of 'elegir' and who knows that is maybe the source? I mean that would make perfect sense, like saying 'a good selection of menus'. Honestly I have seen so many errors in newspapers and magazines (and even on the news) that I have started to doubt when sometimes it may look presumptious to do so... Let's wait and see if you get an answer from someone.

posted by margaretbl
I agree! - chicasabrosa, JUL 1, 2010
hadn't thought about a possible error... have checked and double-checked but it really does say "alijo" - chicasabrosa, JUL 1, 2010