HomeQ&Aprononciation of d in spanish

prononciation of d in spanish

1

when do we prononce it dh like in olvidar and when we say it d like in medecine?

posted by spanishamira

2

When the Spanish D falls within a word, ie: Ciudad, the middle D is pronounced softer than the English D, with the tongue just starting to touch the back of upper front teeth.

When the Spanish D falls at the end of a word, ie: Ciudad, the ending D is pronounced softer than the Spanish middle-letter D, and at the end of the D sound it has a slight TH sound with more contact between the tongue and teeth.

When the Spanish D starts a word, ie: Donde, the pronunciation is harder then the other D sounds, but still softer than the English D.

(This is Mexican Spanish. It could be slightly different in other countries).

edited by 005faa61
posted by 005faa61
As far as I can tell that's a perfect answer - patch, JUL 1, 2010
I had a teacher from from Madrid. She used to say thiuthath (ciudad) ... - patch, JUL 1, 2010
... with 3 clear English "th" sounds. - patch, JUL 1, 2010
0

I believe the rule is that when the placement of the d is between two vowels, it is pronounced with the th/dh sound. Otherwise it is pronounced as in English.

posted by chris126