HomeQ&Ameanings of "eso sí"

meanings of "eso sí"

5

While reading texts I always find the expression "eso sí" and I have the feeling that this expression is like a cameleon because its meaning alterates depending on the context. So, my question is that how can it be translated into English in order to use it correctly.

posted by manderlek

2

If it's followed by 'que es' - it means 'that's what it is'.

As in, that sounds like a chicken. Eso sí que es. (that's what it is smile )

And speaking of that phrase - here's a joke about it:

> This guy goes into a department store, but he's from Mexico, and he doesn't know any English. He goes to the salesman to get some help, but the salesman doesn't know any Spanish. Being a good salesman, he tries his best to make it work. "¿Donde están los calcetines?" the guy asks, and the salesman says, "Um...are you looking for a shirt?" and he indicates his shirt, and the man shakes his head, so the salesman says, "Do you mean pants?" The man shakes his head again, no. The salesman lifts the leg of his pants and points to his sock. "Socks?" he asks. "¡Ah! ¡Sí! ¡Sí! ¡Eso si que es!{That is what it is!}" the man says. "S-O-C-K-S?" The salesman says. "Well why didn't you say so!"

Here's some other suggestions I have found for 'eso sí'

But, on the other hand

But, nevertheless

However.

But one thing's for sure ...

But, by all means

edited by Kiwi-Girl
posted by Kiwi-Girl
Nice joke. I read this in wikipedia. - Vaanz, JUL 1, 2010
I like this one..:-D - Deanski, JUL 1, 2010
1

Welcome to the forum, mandergrin

Eso sí es un número.

This really is a number!

WE would need to see a sentence to give you a more perfect answer.

0

Eso si! THat's (really) it! To me it implies, this is the REAL one or the REAL way or the REAL deal, sometimes meaning "not that other one or "not that other way."

I like that previous joke. Eso si!

posted by Lisala