HomeQ&AHe's hiding something from us

He's hiding something from us

1

Would está ocultandonos be enough? They said that in Star Trek and it feels wierd to me. Gracias

posted by jeezzle
I vote everyone for every answer every time, and no one votes me. - jeezzle, JUL 1, 2010

2

At least according to the RAE, the verb "ocultar" is used transitively. If this is so then it seems that your original is missing a direct object.

está ocultandonos → está ocultándonos algo

posted by Izanoni1
I do agree, but i think the show must have dropped it for whatever reason. I am trying to imitate the ability to drop words in situations where it is acceptable in order to appear more nativeilike in my conversations. - jeezzle, JUN 30, 2010
That's one thing I hate about watching movies and tv programs dubbed in Spanish -- I'm never sure if it's actually legitimate way of saying something or if its simply a shoddy translation job - Izanoni1, JUN 30, 2010
I think in a show like Star Trek with big budgets the dubbing job is pretty good. In fact, from what I can tell, all the parts I recognize are spot on, and they talk really fast too, it's just the few parts that I don't know that make me wonder - jeezzle, JUN 30, 2010
1

It doesn't need "de" but it does need a direct object like "algo', "la verdad", "que en marte existe vida", etc.

Está ocultándonos algo. = It/he/she is hiding something from us.

It seems very odd to me to drop the "algo" and still mean the same thing.

I think that just saying "Está ocultándonos" means "It/he/she is hiding us."

Estamos ocultándonos del lobo feroz. You do use "de", "de la", "del" when we're hiding from something in particular.

posted by alba3
1

Wouldn't that be more like 'he is hiding us'?

How about:

Él está escondiendo algo de nosotros. alt text

posted by Kiwi-Girl
At first glance my mind would choose something closer to yours, but what they said is what they said. I like ocultar more than esconder when it comes to being secretive. - jeezzle, JUN 30, 2010
0

No Alba, you remember counselour Troy from Star Trek when they cut the communications and Picard always asks her if the person they are talking to is on the level? This is where she says "No capitan, está ocultandonos". It couldn't possibly mean it is hiding us in that situation. Yeah, I think algo is better to use in the general form, but the main thought of this thread is that "ocultar" doesn't need DE to mean from. At work today, I asked Olga, "Estás ocultandome algo, Olga"? and she said "no" so I see it works that way without needing to say "Estás ocultando algo de mí Olga" which is how it would work in English. Gracias.

posted by jeezzle
Wow, I never knew you could say it w/o the algo...odd. Agreed that the "de mí" is not necessary. - alba3, JUL 1, 2010
By the way, where did you find Star Trek in Spanish? Is it one of the movies or the series? - alba3, JUL 1, 2010
It's the series "La nueva generacion" con Picard. I have found lots of shows in Spanish. Currently going through Futurama in Spanish (which is awesome) and Scooby Doo, and the second Scooby Doo series which was lame, and I'm looking for "The Prisoner" BBC - jeezzle, JUL 2, 2010
But I doubt that was ever dubbed in Spanish, but it's my favorite TV show ever made. Star Trek has really good dubbing, clear and spoken well, Picards voice is good and commanding and you get to hear how they word stuff like "energize" and "beam down" - jeezzle, JUL 2, 2010
0

Hola,

otra opción:

"Nos está ocultando/escondiendo algo"

posted by LuisaGomezBartle
0

More confirmation would be great. Gracias.

posted by jeezzle
0

Supporting evidence from google:

• ¿realmente el gobierno esta ocultándonos la verdad y magnitud del asunto?*
  • La nasa esta ocultandonos que en marte existe vida igual a la nuestra y con el mismo avance cientifico
  • Noto que está ocultandonos algo y tiene miedo a decirnosl
  • el presidente bush esta ocultandonos algo

Based on perfunctory evidence I must conclude that ocultar does not need DE to indicate from, just as Quitar does not need DE to indicate from. Gracias.

posted by jeezzle