HomeQ&AOk, something is seriously wrong

Ok, something is seriously wrong

7

A few days ago Marianne published a post wondering whether the site felt slow.

I find that it is much worse today. Not only that. The email notifications for the posts I'm watching are taking hours to be processed and sent! I know it because I have already replied to comments I read in my posts this morning, and it's just this evening that I'm getting the email notification!

I wonder whether this is something that can be fixed, of whether SpanishDict finally grew so much that it is really taxing the servers' capacity?

posted by Gekkosan
Things appear to have improved in the last hour or so. Benjamin's comment "only" took 9 minutes to arrive as an email notification. So maybe it is a network traffic thing... - Gekkosan, JUN 30, 2010
I noticed my comment on Morbo's thread did not stay put....I am reporting this right away to chris - 00494d19, JUL 1, 2010

1

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all the updates. I wanted to let you know that we are working on upgrading to a new set of servers that should help speed up the site and make it more reliable. Things have grown at SpanishDict! We have more members and a lot more activity--which is terrific. But it's time to increase the capacity in order to keep apace. I hope to have the new system setup by the end of next week.

Thanks! Chris

posted by Christopher
Hurray!! So good to see this!" :-) - Gekkosan, JUL 1, 2010
4

My computer is becoming too outdated for SpanishDict's barrage of intrusive flash advertisements and pop-ups :(

edited by lagartijaverde
posted by benjaminminmin
Amen. - LateToDinner, JUN 30, 2010
Download ad-blocker to your browser. My SpanishDict has never had any of ads or pop ups! - Gocika, JUL 1, 2010
I've never had pop ups....your ads will disappear when you have 2K rep points. - --Mariana--, JUL 1, 2010
2

I've noticed that it takes a little while to load the pages, post answers and comments.I guess I jinxed myself the other day when I saw Marianne's post and said "good thing that isn't happening with me"- I guess I spoke too soon.

posted by MeEncantanCarasSonrisas
2

Yes all day Wednesday it was so slow I gave up , although at the time of Marianne's post I had no problems , it is very random, today Thursday am , it is great, so it is just a matter of being patient and waiting, maybe we are getting spoiled ?

posted by ray76
2

Years ago when Ilived in Ireland, I went into a fish and chip shop, owned by an Italian named Mario and orderd the equivalent of 12 cents of fish and chips, when I opened the paper, I discovered a piece of fish the size of a 50 cent coin and proceeded inside to complain, only to have Mario tell me, " waddya want for your sixpence a moby dick" Moral of the story I guess is if its cheap or free do not complain. And yes I find it frustrating how slow the site has been lately.

posted by albert-fabrik-
Yes SpanishDict is free to its users, but nevertheless it is a business (I assume it draws revenue from advertising). If it doesn't work well, it suffers as a business. - Gekkosan, JUN 30, 2010
Absolutely Gekko - people will stop using it if it is too slow. - ian-hill, JUN 30, 2010
Yes, it's a business that makes money and it can afford to make sure it works well for its users. - --Mariana--, JUL 1, 2010
2

I hope it's the latter!! smile Wouldn't that be something?!! shock I am giddy with the possibility! I can't say I've had the problem yet, Uh-Oh!! Did I just jinks myself?! Crud... big surprise

posted by Jason7R
1

Gekko said:

".... SpanishDict finally grew so much that it is really taxing the servers' capacity?

I think that's it!

Chris said:

....But it's time to increase the capacity in order to keep apace.

Yippee!

1

I noticed it too. Maybe too many users online at once?

posted by princessjane
1

I have just reported the issue, I will keep you updated.

1

Yes, I have been experiencing that often lately. Even voting or adding a comment takes a while now when these used to be instantaneous.

posted by Rikko
1

I have found the site to be very slow again today too. I suspect that it may be something to do with the servers because I noticed that it was pretty OK in the morning for me but then, between 1-2pm BST, as East Coast US (where I assume that the majority of users are based) started coming online, it suddenly started to drag.

I was working on a lesson tonight and the "Write" section that I had just completed, disappeared without trace into cyberspace (not a great problem to re-write a few sentences but still, a bit worrying).

The other thing that I have noticed is that postings on the A-Z games seem to be overlapping each other, and the comments certainly are. Frankly though, I do not really see why this would be the case, but I have seen it happen.

Hope the problem is resolved soon as it's a great site.

posted by peregrinamaria
1

I have noticed that sometimes when waiting to submit posts these seem to take longer than when I first joined in April 29th this year

Adiitionally, I think that there are some bad links which take me to a page that tells me that page cannot be found While this could be just my computer playing up ... it doesn't play up in the same way on other websites....so I am thinking that there are some (serious? ) weaknesses in the system that need to be addressed as soon as possible. These weaknesses could be putting extra stress on an already overloaded server (?) due to ever increasing demand for SpanishDict. This is a good problem to have in one way: that our website is so popular that more people want to use it but bad page links need fixing as they could be the cause of more serious problems later. I just hope that I am wrong here !

edited by FELIZ77
posted by FELIZ77
0

Get Adblock Plus and block them all out.link text

edited by lagartijaverde
posted by lagartijaverde
0

I wonder what the actual count is for registered users right now.

posted by Yeser007
0

I thought that its a problem with my net connection. Its always slow :( . And I'm so used to it. smile . That why i didn't realized the issue. Maybe as Benz said the number of users might have increased and that made the server slow.

posted by Vaanz