HomeQ&ANo les encumbe, dejame en paz

No les encumbe, dejame en paz

1

So I guess encumber is the verb. It seems our dictionary is somewhat limited on the defination but it seems to be "to be encumbered". Is that a word you guys have heard once in a while? It seems like "Don't encumber me you all........ leave me in peace".

posted by jeezzle
What is the infinitive? - Kiwi-Girl, JUN 29, 2010

2

The word is not "encumber", but "incumbir":

incumbir. (Del lat. incumb?re). 1. intr. Dicho de una cosa: Estar a cargo de alguien.

Real Academia Española © Todos los derechos reservados

Thus, "no les incumbe" or "no es de su incumbencia" means: "it's none of your business":

edited by Gekkosan
posted by Gekkosan
2

Yes, it means 'burden' - I wouldn't say it's used often but I do come across it every now and then, also encumbrance.

It is similar I suppose to 'cargar' in Spanish but I certainly wouldn't use it in the sentence you have there lol. Still sometimes words are not quite as formal in Spanish as it might be in English.

I couldn't really comment on how common 'encumbar'* - is in Spanish speaking countries (especially as I have never come across it personally).

• ( is that the verb?)

Edit: REAL

Aviso La palabra encumbar no está en el Diccionario.

(Encumbrar is but that has a different meaning altogether. Is this a case of a false friend?)

edited by Kiwi-Girl
posted by Kiwi-Girl
0

What's really wierd is that it should be "No les encumba" if it uses encumber, and there are 2 hits for that on google and 54 hits for "No les encumbe" but I am very sure that they said "No les encumbe" on the show that I watched. I think it just must be a wierd one. Note that our dictionary uses it as "Cargar demasiado" which would be to overload or encumber I guess. I wonder if it's in use or not in natural language. That's the thing about learning from TVshows, you get a big vocabulary and then nobody at work knows what I mean half the time.

posted by jeezzle