HomeQ&ACan some please explain this correction to me?

Can some please explain this correction to me?

1

I am writing an e-mail to a college professor about possibly adding me to a Spanish class that is currently full, and I had my old Spanish teacher from high school proofread it. The only correction I don't understand is this.

I wrote...

Sin embargo, yo quería hablar con usted para pedirle si usted me considería si decide agregar unos pocos estudiantes a las clases que ya están llenas.

and she corrected the first part to be...

Sin embargo, podré hablar con usted si usted me consideré si decide agregar... etc.

Can someone please explain to me the verb choice of poder and why it is conjugated like it is? Or if you have a better suggestion, please offer it. Thanks!

edited by megan5
posted by megan5

2

I suspect it's just a little more polite and formal as you're asking if you "could" =permission as opposed to "would". Nit picking I know. There seems to be more please in the could.

Lets see what people say grin

edited by lagartijaverde
posted by lagartijaverde
Or May I ? rather than Can I ? - 0074b507, JUN 28, 2010
1

You wrote, I wanted to speak ............

Your prof wrote, I will be able to speak .........

If it were me, I would say, I would like to speak ............ Quisiera hablar

All phrases are correct, but your prof's version may be just a bit pushy.

posted by 005faa61
0

I think I understand why you are confused!

You said:

So would it be better if I said something like "quería ponerse en contacto con usted..."??

In the above question you used the word "quería" (which is the imperfect/past tense of the verb querer)

I think that you meant to use the word "querría" (with 2 "r"s, which is the conditional tense of th verb querer)

Querría = I would like

Quisiera also can be used to say "I would like"

posted by Pajaro44
0

quería is past tense. Use quisiera or quisiese

ponerme en contacto con usted is another good option.

posted by 005faa61
0

posted by megan5
0

Thank you for the input so far!! I appreciate it.

I think I wanted to originally say "However, I wanted to also speak with you to see if you would consider me..." blah blah blah. Explaining the reason for me e-mail in the first place. Is there a better way to say that than what I have already?

posted by megan5
0

My take is that your previous instructor thinks so highly of your ability to speak Spanish that she is saying to be more forceful, to step up, to speak out.

Instead of the almost a question, may I speak with you, I think its meaning is a more definite I can convince you to include me.

Clearly not word for word, more of an attitude report.

Thats from a beginner ... we will see what the experts have to say!

edited by LateToDinner
posted by LateToDinner
0

That would we polite if it were in the form of a question:

¿Podré hablar con usted la próxima semana? --> Could I have a word with you next week?

Otherwise, it's just a sentence in the future tense:

Podré hablar con usted la próxima semana --> Next week, I'll be able to speak to you.

posted by Lucho