HomeQ&Awhat is "sangre de honduras"

what is "sangre de honduras"

1

I reading through "Chatos Kitchen" a childrens book by a Mexican American author who includes many links to his culture within the illustrations. One of the pages has illustrations of food and there is a bottle the has the words "Sangre de Honduras" on it with what looks like a picture of a strawberry. If sangre means blood what exactly is Sangre de Honduras? And what type of cooking is it used in?

posted by marcandbarbie

2

Welcome to the forum.

I spent quite some time on search engines in Spanish, typing in key words, etc. Every hit dealt with the "blood of Honduras", mostly regarding the coup last July as well as a few misc. references to blood banks.

I seriously doubt there is any cooking ingredient called "sangre do Honduras".

I also did a web search on"Chato's Kitchen and sangre de Honduras" and came up with a book review which mentioned a banana leaf with "sangre de Honduras" written on it.

I'm sorry to not have been more help, but I believe we can rule out any sort of connection with cooking.

posted by mountaingirl123
1

Literally, it means "Blood of Honduras." I did a Google search on it and didn't find any recipes, just a bunch of World Cup stuff. However, from the context you've provided it sounds like some sort of strawberry sauce. It's probably called sangre because it's red. Maybe someone else will be able to tell you a bit more about it, but I hope this is a start.

posted by MacFadden
I bet you're right. After all we have a wine from Spain 'Sangre de Toro'. - margaretbl, JUN 27, 2010
0

Honduras has a rich agricultural tradition. Perhaps is is wine grown from honduran grapes where 'the sweat and blood" of the farmers have fertilized it. Or, perhaps it is a reference to "brujería" (witchcraft)....

posted by AngelinaG
0

Or it means "Blood from the depths"- pretty scary.