HomeQ&ABetween a stone and a hard rock

Between a stone and a hard rock

2

What does this phrase mean and how does it translate into Spanish?

Between a stone and a hard rock

updated DIC 13, 2013
posted by Gocika
The English saying is "Between a stone (or rock) and a hard place." - --Mariana--, JUN 27, 2010
I've heard it from an English native speaker. - Gocika, JUN 27, 2010
Sorry, but the saying in English is like I said. Take a look on the Internet and see the correct saying. - --Mariana--, JUN 27, 2010
Ok, but this is what the man said, so I guess he made a mistake - Gocika, JUN 27, 2010
Yes, pepole often mangle idioms and such. Some native English speakers could do with an English class. :) - MacFadden, JUN 27, 2010
How true, and I'm in agreement with Marianne on that one. Usually "Between a rock and a hard place". - Yeser007, JUN 27, 2010
I have a bilingual coworker who always says "between a hard rock and a stone" and I find it very funny. We get a good laugh about it every day. - kcess, DIC 13, 2013

6

"Between a rock/stone and a hard place."

This means that you are in a difficult situation without hope of finding a solution.

In Spanish it's "Estar entre la espada y la pared."

updated MAR 15, 2012
¡Eres tan lista! - Goyo, JUN 27, 2010
Gracias, guapo. - --Mariana--, JUN 27, 2010
5

The way I've heard it is "between a rock and a hard place."

It's an expression that means you are in a very difficult situation, with all available options causing problems of their own.

updated MAR 15, 2012
posted by Goyo
4

A very similar expression is "between the devil and the deep blue sea"

posted by Izanoni1
2

The normal phrase is "caught between a rock and a hard place." It doesn't translate literally, but basically it means you have two equally difficult options.

updated MAR 15, 2012
posted by paige2292
1

This is a very good question that can be answered by the Phrasebook. Have a look, it is going to be an excellent tool for Spanish students!

posted by margaretbl
1

You might enjoy looking here for the ancient Greek Mythology story which

gave rise to sayings like "caught between a rock and a hard place", "entre la espada y la pared", and "between the devil and the deep blue see", all of which suggest being in a difficult situation with no apparent way out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scylla_and_Charybdis

posted by lorenzo45