HomeQ&APor la boca muere el pez.

Por la boca muere el pez.

2

Ok let's try again.

NO RESEARCHING PLEASE!!!

Let's see if we can have a bit of fun and get everyone's guesses for this Spanish saying smile

If you already know it's meaning how about holding back until others get a chance to guess first.

You can just put your guess or what you think might be an equivalent English saying smile

updated MAR 1, 2012
posted by Kiwi-Girl

3

Learn when to keep your mouth shut.

That sounds like a very good possibility :) - Izanoni1, JUN 26, 2010
Yes I would agree ... something along those lines - FELIZ77, JUN 26, 2010
2

I would translate it as "the fish dies by the mouth" as well. Possibly something like our phrase to "stick your foot in your mouth"? My best guess. haha

updated MAR 1, 2012
posted by megan5
Yes, indeed. Case of foot in mouth it is! - CarmenW, MAR 1, 2012
1

I don't know what it means, but it reminds me of the saying "en boca cerrada, no entran moscas."

Maybe it has something to do with a fish dying if it breathes air, or maybe it dies by the mouth when it goes after the fisherman's hook. If this is the case, I guess it could either be an admonishment about running ones mouth too much or possibly about eating too much. I don't know though....tough to say. Anyway great expression. I will be anxious to see what the real meaning is smile

edited by Izanoni1
posted by Izanoni1
1

I don't know the answer but I think it's going to be : By the mouth the fish dies. I think it means that what you say can harm you .it doesn't make lots of since but it may work . tongue wink

posted by 00b6f46c
1

This is making my head spin. I'll try but I'm know I'm wrong:

The fish dies by the mouth.

(that doesn't make sense, I will be watching to see the answer)

posted by scottdoherty
0

Bien hecho todos!

I could have voted for so many but I must give my vote to Megan who put the correct equivalent English phrase.

Podría haber votado a favor de tantos pero tengo que dar mi voto a Megan como ella se le ocurrió la frase correcta Inglés equivalente.

'to put your foot in your mouth'

But all were so good, if you find them interesting I will try to find more obscure proverbs to post later.

Pero todo fue tan bien, si ustedes los encuentran interesantes voy a buscar algunos refranes más alternativo para enviar.

And as well as testing our Spanish we may learn something useful.

Y así como poner a prueba nuestra españoles podemos aprender algo útil

edited by Kiwi-Girl
posted by Kiwi-Girl
Sorry Feliz we must have been typing at the same time, bien hecho a ti! - Kiwi-Girl, JUN 26, 2010
thank you /muchas gracias - FELIZ77, JUN 26, 2010
0

This is obviously an idiom which cannot be translated literally as talking of fish dying/being killed by the mouth would make no sense at all in so much as it would not be a useful phrase to say lol so I would guess it is talking about being quiet/or learning when to talk or be quiet/shut up !

Por la boca muere el pez.

= Know when to be quiet (shut up !)

Yes Marie Claire ... the expressions that springs to mind are:

"Keep your trap (mouth) shut" (Shut your trap ! ? ??) (coll/slang)

and Putting your foot in your mouth

edited by FELIZ77
posted by FELIZ77
0

jeje, Maria, I think I got your last question wrong, LOL I thought you didn't know the meaningraspberry

:::closing my mouth real tight this time::

And this is a cluewink

Bien hecho!! :) - Kiwi-Girl, JUN 26, 2010
0

Great guesses guys smile and you're definitely on the right track with the meaning.

Any English sayings that might be equivalent that you can think of?

I'll give you a clue - the English saying also includes the word 'mouth'

posted by Kiwi-Girl