HomeQ&AComo se dice "bear-baiting" en Español?

Como se dice "bear-baiting" en Español?

2

I am looking for information about colonial Spanish records of, and attitudes toward the practice of bear-baiting in New Spain. Since my Spanish is limited, I find it necessary to discover the Spanish term (or terms) for the torture of bears for human amusement known in English as "bear-baiting," "bearbaiting," or "bear baiting."

I am thankful to the experts for any help they can provide.

Thank you!

Ashley C. Hall Adjunct Professor American Multicultural Studies Sonoma State University email: hallas5150@gmail.com

posted by AshleyCHall
I don't think the admins allow one to post his/ her e-mail in the forum - Fidalgo, JUN 26, 2010

2

According to Wkipedia, bear-baiting is hostigamiento de osos (http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hostigamiento_de_osos)

posted by Fidalgo
Yes Fi, Hostigamiento=batida - melipiru, JUN 26, 2010
That Wikipedia is great isn't it. - margaretbl, JUN 26, 2010
Gracias, Meli. Estoy de acuerdo, Margaret - Fidalgo, JUN 26, 2010
1

Hi Ashley and wellcome to the forum.

I'm not sure,but I think that could be "Batida del / de oso/os" or "caza del oso.

Regards.

posted by melipiru
:-) - Fidalgo, JUN 26, 2010
1

Hostigamiento de osos

Hostigar = harass or bait

posted by LateToDinner
Fidalgo types faster than I do. So just count this as agreeing with him. - LateToDinner, JUN 26, 2010
No problem, LateToDinner. Good help - Fidalgo, JUN 26, 2010
0

Ashley's bear baiting has nothing to do with putting out bait to catch a bear, hunt a bear or cage a bear. I am pretty sure he is referring to the horrific practice of tying/chaining one of nature's awesome critters to a post or a tree (or in an arena in the really old days) and then turning the dogs loose to torture the bear.

While it is illegal in the States, it is still practised elsewhere. I hope his research is to help translate documents that will be used to recruit more people, better yet, more countries, to outlaw the practice.

Good luck, Ashley!

edited by LateToDinner
posted by LateToDinner
0

LateToDinner said

I hope her (Ashley's) research is to help translate documents that will be used to recruit more people, better yet, more countries, to outlaw the practice.

And so do I.

Best regards

edited by Fidalgo
posted by Fidalgo
Sorry, I think that should be "his (Ashley's)" ¡Ay! - LateToDinner, JUN 26, 2010
0

Hi Meli, I was looking it up in Wordref and I found this 'el cebar a los osos' but it is meaningless to me. What do you think as a native Spanish speaker?

posted by margaretbl
Margaret"cebar a los osos" it is to feed the bears.I think that it is "batida or hostigar/hostigamiento" - melipiru, JUN 26, 2010
Jeje, ¡qué risa! supongo no estaban haciendo eso... - margaretbl, JUN 26, 2010