HomeQ&AQue significa: Por d贸nde sales

Que significa: Por d贸nde sales

2

I registered on http://www.amigosfree.com to meet people in Mexico prior to my trip and there is a profile prompt: "Por dónde sales". This is obviously an idiom and my guess is that it means: "what do you need to put salt on to make it bearable" or rather what makes you grind your teeth?

Am I correct?

edited by 00494d19
posted by salsero69

2

HI salsero, please unaccept the answer, it is incorrect. I will have to delete it otherwise.

Por dónde sales = Where are you from?

Very unusual in Spain, but possible, colloquial.

Don't you think it sounds like 'where are you headed to...? Just my thoughts? - margaretbl, JUN 26, 2010
So, my answer must be wrong as well??? - Pajaro44, JUN 26, 2010
3

Tremendously funny! I got a good chuckle over this. Love the confusion over salar and salir. I'm sure you were strangely puzzled by a forum desiring information about your salting habits. LOL

Watch out for sentir (to feel) and sentar (to sit) because they also have a few overlapping conjugations (first person present for both is siento).

Excellent lesson for everyone on using context to choose the correct meaning when more than one is possible.

posted by webdunce
Just shows how context is so important. The more I learn Spanish the more I realize how my native languages are riddled with them. - salsero69, JUN 26, 2010
RTHank you Web You have made some Excellent points here - FELIZ77, JUN 26, 2010
3

It means "Where do you go?" They're asking your travel destination.

edited by swing
posted by swing
Really? I looked up Sales and it's the verb Salar: to salt. - salsero69, JUN 26, 2010
And it's also the verb Salir. Thanks for the answer. - salsero69, JUN 26, 2010
2

"Por dónde sales".

Por = for, by way of, through (in the above context)

dónde = where

sales = 2nd person singular (tú form) of the verb "salir" = to leave, to go out

So, the literal translation is: "For where are you leaving?"

or, "Where are you going?"

edited by Pajaro44
posted by Pajaro44
I got the "Por Donde". I thought it was "Where do you put salt?". Really need to learn more verbs. - salsero69, JUN 26, 2010
Or rather: "where do you salt?" - salsero69, JUN 26, 2010
sorry , not correct - 00494d19, JUN 26, 2010
漏 Curiosity Media Inc.