HomeQ&A"stick to something"

"stick to something"

2

Hi there, everyone!

I'm a spanish speaker, but I take most of my classes in English at University (I major in translation). Last month, I wrote the following in a term test: "witnesses must stick to what they saw and heard", but my teacher told me she did not understand what I meant by "stick." Did I just make up a verb or the phrase does make sense and my teacher just didn't get it?

updated OCT 10, 2010
edited by Lucho
posted by Lucho

4

Your teacher is at fault as this phrase is fine. I'm a native speaker of English. "stick" here carries the sense of "adhere to" "not deviate from..." For example if somebody isn't explaining something well you can say "Stick to the point...don't waffle".

Do you know "waffle"? grin

It's something like verborrea in Spanish.

updated OCT 10, 2010
edited by lagartijaverde
posted by lagartijaverde
3

I agree with Birdland that you did not make up a verb.

I'm going to stick to my story. I'm not going to change the story.

The witnesses must only testify to what they actually saw and heard. Their testimony must stick to the facts. When testifying, witnesses must stick to what they saw and heard.

I don't see anything wrong with it either.

updated OCT 10, 2010
posted by alba3
3

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

posted by luhzon89
2

Oh, boy!! I knew it was right! She's a great teacher, but she's sooo narrow-minded whenever a student comes up with something she "miss super interpreter" doesn't know.

Thanks a lot, Birdland! grin

And nope, I didn't know Waffle! I'll use it in my next term test hehehe

updated OCT 10, 2010
posted by Lucho
1

Thanks, guys wink

posted by Lucho
0

Your teacher obviously doesn't have a full command of English. The word "stick" is fine in that sentence, although there are other ways of saying it. If a translation doesn't carry over between languages, the teacher should be suggesting alternatives, not berating you.

I can't stand bad teachers!

posted by fontanero