HomeQ&Alegally in the US.

legally in the US.

1

No one may have an answer for this but I'm going to ask just in case. My boyfriend lives in Mexico and I live in the US. I would move there to be with him but cannot as I have kids here with my ex-husband. We met when he was here illegally several years ago and have recently been reunited through the computer. We are trying to get him to the US legally this time so we can be together without problems. We've found that going through the consul and such could take several years. Does anyone have any knowledge of the laws for that these days as well as a faster way to make this work? Any information on the matter would be greatly appreciated. Por favor y gracias.

edited by AntMexico
posted by s-lima
Welcome to the forum. - --Mariana--, JUN 26, 2010
Gracias. - s-lima, JUN 26, 2010

3

Welcome to the forum.

I'm glad that you have reconnected with your former boyfriend and that he is interested in being a legal resident.

I have no specific information regarding your question, but I do have a suggestion. Consult an immigration attorney. There are most likely attorneys in your area who will do a consultation for a minimal fee.

You need to be assured that you are receiving accurate advice. I seriously doubt that anyone on this site would intentionally mislead you, but your question is too important to trust to people whose credentials you cannot be certain of.

Good luck, and please keep us posted.

posted by mountaingirl123
3

As MountainGirl says: you need to talk to an Immigration lawyer.

However, don't just find one in the newspaper or phone book. Go to your Legal Aid Office (which offers free legal services) and they will send you to a reputable lawyer who won't scam you for a fee and then not do the work. The Legal Aid Office may also do some immigration work, depending on what state you're in.

I didn't know Legal Aid would help with immigration. I'll have to check that out. Gracias. - s-lima, JUN 26, 2010
1

I agree with the suggestion to get the advice of a reputable Immigration lawyer. As several people suggested, marriage is typically the best and fastest option. However, since your guys was in the US illegally, much could depend on exactly what happened then. If he was found out and deported, that could be a huge complication.

If he has no record of ever having been in the US illegally, or having broken any laws, then it is possible to get a temporary fiancé visa, then get married. Married couples must show ample and satisfactory proof of knowing each other, of cohabitation and of their sincere intention to marry for reasons other than to facilitate the other person's immigration.

In short - get a good lawyer and tell him / her the truth. And do keep Dogbert's opinion in mind.

posted by Gekkosan
When he was here he had a fake ssn and they did find out. But he wasn't actually deported. They sent him a letter saying his ssn didn't match his name. He just went back home because it scared him. Will they have a record of that? - s-lima, JUN 26, 2010
0

I did some research last night. His brother lives here as a citizen (I think) because his kids were born here. He can apply for him to come here as a permanent resident which I think would make the process go faster.

The other thing I found out was that he can come here to visit and if he decides to go to school or something he can change his status and stay here legally until the rest of the paperwork goes through. This is how I understood it anyway.

posted by s-lima
0

See, marriage is definitely an option, but I heard that that was changed like in 1999 and wont make you legal anymore. I don't know if that's true or not though.

posted by s-lima
After filing paperwork and going to an interview, it will make you a legal permanent resident. - 003487d6, JUN 26, 2010
0

My husband and I got married 1 month before his travel visa ran out. He was able to work legally 6 months after we filed his papers with the government.

Sorry, but unless he has immediate family (eg wife), is seeking asylum, or can get a 9-month skilled worker visa, then he has to wait many years.

0

El matrimonio.

But I would call that trading one complication for another. Or making a bad situation worse, possibly.

posted by 008f2974