While looking through someone's flashcards, I found something interesting...

3

...they had "el candanga" for "the devil". I thought "el diablo" was much more common. I put "devil" in the translator and it only came up with "diablo". Is it a regional thing?

posted by amykay

2

Working from English to Spanish, my Collins dictionary only lists "diablo" and "demonio" in this context. However, interestingly, working from Spanish to English, not only do I find "el candanga" but also "el candinga". Both are referenced as being of Mexican usage.

posted by peregrinamaria
2

Too funny, Ms Amy. I have wanted to challenge sooooo many flashcards only to find that I was glad I researched them just a little more before saying something. Today it was 'aura' which I thought was 'hint" but is en español a 'light breeze".

posted by LateToDinner
2

Perhaps that is where we get "dang" in English as a nicer way of saying damn, that is, if it's "can-dang-a".

posted by billy-jones
Seems like a stretch to me. But I like it!
2

there is a phrase in spanish"ME LLEVO CANDANGA" it means that you had a problem in a certain situation. ex. at work .

posted by Julissa82
1

Good one. My dictionary says it's from Mexico. I've never heard it before, and living in southern California I hear a fair amount of Mexican Spanish. So now I know.

posted by KevinB
I agree, I lived in L.A. for almost my whole life and only ever heard el diablo.
1

Sonora uses diablo and satanas (Satan). It looks plural, but it is not.

posted by darkwise
1

Hmmm...interesting. I've never heard that before.

The RAE says that it's from El Salvador and Honduras. The Prince of the rebel angels.

Weird.
In English the leader of the rebel angels was Lucifer.
1

Dictionary also gives devil for candanga. I guess these are just synonyms, and I am sure there are much more.

posted by swing
Yes, but only one of the search engines gave back candanga.
I checked my paper dictionary (!!!) and it only says diablo for devil.