HomeQ&AA little hungover

A little hungover

2

This morning I asked how my friend was and he said "Algo cruel" and told me it meant "A little hungover". It sounded like cruel, but it might have been another word. I know it means cruel but can it also mean hungover or was it a different word that just sounded like cruel? Gracias.

posted by jeezzle

4

Hi,

It is probably something with "cruda". It is a way to say it, mostly in Mexico. Other ways are "resaca" and "guayabo".

posted by LuisaGomezBartle
Quite familiar with that topic, are we? :-) - 0074b507, JUN 14, 2010
A an interpreter... I have to be familiar with every topic ;). - LuisaGomezBartle, JUN 15, 2010
2

¡Tengo resaca!

"me he despierto con resaca"

I awake with a hangover!

posted by MattM
1

Perfection. Cruda = hungover and also raw and crude, all of which remind me of hungover. Great word. Algo cruda estoy. I wonder if you would say "crudo" or "cruda" for a man. He said "cruda" I think, seems like it would hit the adjective version and be crudo doesn't it? (as opposed to the fem. noun cruda) Gracias

Edit: Just found this: Estoy algo crudo , como me quito la resaca.

Notice he used the two different words for hangover.... cool. I wonder if they have different meanings, like if he reversed them in that sentence. Cruda is like crude/raw/rawness and resaca is like undertow, or a force that wants to pull you under? Maybe they have different connotations? Gracias.

edited by jeezzle
posted by jeezzle
Sí, "cruda" es para hombres y mujeres. - LuisaGomezBartle, JUN 14, 2010
I see a lot of hits on google for crudo though and they seem to mean hangover too. - jeezzle, JUN 14, 2010
1

A man would say: "estoy algo crudo"

A woman would say: "estoy algo cruda"

Simple.

posted by tamalmalamarrado
1

In the dictionary, cruda is a feminine noun when meaning hangover...as such I would expect it to be tengo cruda (not saying it is used like that) . Of course, if used as an adjective, it means "raw" among other things...and would have to be crudo for masculine nouns and cruda for feminine ones. I would not be surprised if a lot of Spanish speakers (especially Spanglish speakers) have taken to using it as an adjective to mean hungover (as opposed to hangover)...and thus will change the ending. It would seem more Spanish-like, to me, though to say tengo cruda...again could be wrong about that...it's just they seem to have everything that we would be.

My two cents. Though, it might not be worth so much as that.

edited by webdunce
posted by webdunce
You're right, ie: ¡Me desperté con una cruda brutal! ....... ¡Estoy bien crudo! - 005faa61, JUN 15, 2010
1

cruda

edited by Rey_Mysterio
posted by Rey_Mysterio