Te molesta que te proteja

2

I believe it says "It bothers you that I protect you". Proteja is subjunctive because it follows the que. Is this right? Gracias.

updated MAY 30, 2010
posted by jeezzle
Are you ever lucky tonight!!!

3

Perfect.

updated MAY 30, 2010
2

A little more explanation might be given so that beginners don't misinterpret your question.

The only meaning that it follows the que is that it is the subordinate (dependent) clause verb. The reason that the verb in the dependent clause is put into the subjunctive mood is because the independent clause is expressing an emotional reaction rather than declaring anything.

It bothers me is your emotional reaction to what happens in the noun clause.

Que is not one of the triggers for using the subjunctive mood of the verb.

updated MAY 30, 2010
1

Excuse my poor wording. Let me rephrase it.

I was trying to say that the only significance of the que was that it placed the verb proteja in a subordinate clause. By itself, it does not trigger the use of the subjunctive mood for the verb. I was afraid a beginner might assume that from the original question.

Yes, I meant the verb in the subordinate clause by my poor syntax.

I'm not sure that your version (I understood your point) is what a beginner needs to see. Beginners learn from recognizing patterns. The standard pattern is: main clause containing some verb of emotion, doubt, volition, negation, etc. and then a subordinate clause where the subjunctive mood of the verb is used. If you start inverting the sentences you will only confuse then.

The important thing for beginners to recognize is that the subjunctive mood is used in a subordinate clause (not always, of course, but mostly, so that is the pattern usually used in examples.)

The only real point of my reply was that the existence of a subordinate clause does not mean that the subjunctive mood must be used within that clause. That is what the original wording of the question implied to me. Because there was a que proteja had to be in the subjunctive mood.

I guess my entire reply was a waste of time, because if it mislead you, then, it certainly didn't clarify anything for a beginner.

updated MAY 30, 2010
0

The only meaning that it follows the que is that it is the subordinate (dependent) clause verb.

Please Q what is the dependent clause and what does "only meaning" mean here. Did you intend to say, "the only reason"?

Does "it is the subordinate (dependent) clause verb" mean "the verb in/of the subordinate clause"?

You have me totally confused.

From my perspective, this is a beautifully expressed thought in Spanish but to analyse it requires that it should be uninverted to, for instance,

"Que te protega (es lo que) te molesta".

This seems to me to make it clear how the pieces fit together even though the original form is what I would hope to be able to write.

updated MAY 30, 2010
posted by geofc