Un principiante o una principiante

2

Would a female speaker say, Soy una principiante? (in describing herself as a beginner in Spanish). Is there a better way to convey the meaning in Spanish, that "I am a beginner" ?

updated MAY 28, 2010
posted by bnjmcleod
After reading responses to this and other related threads, I conclude that a female would say "Soy principiante" or the politically correct (and not widely accepted) "Soy principianta," after which she would have to defend herself. Correcto?
To avoid confusion, she might be safest to say, "Soy novicia" or "Soy novata." And THANK YOU everyone, I have learned a lot from your discussions.

3

Funny, none of the above is correct. Watieco, you called our attention to this thread and your answer is not correct eitherwink

Eddy, directly to the dunce corner for that prinipianta bit, grrrrrrrrrrrrr mad

And no article amigoswink

soy principiante

soy novato/ novata

principiante sustantivo masculino y femenino beginner;

Anyway, it is true, Eddy's answer should not have been voted up.

updated MAY 28, 2010
Eddy, you can come right out fo the dunce corner again, principianta does exist, grrrrrrrr, I don¡t agree with it though, just saying...lol
I dont agree either. Now I only need to hear that "estudianta" is the feminine for "estudiante". I'll keep Eddy in that corner. :))
Don't worry guys, I have a plan to fix it. I've been going all over SpanishDict flagging Eddy's posts to compensate for his votes.
3

I believe this would be as follows,

Soy un principiante - masculine

Soy una principianta - Feminine

You could also use "soy un/una novato/a".

updated MAY 28, 2010
edited by Eddy
No creo que "principianta" es palabra española.
Creo que sí. Esta en todos los diccionarios.
¡Mi error! Es que yo no lo veo en los diccionarios en linea. En cambio veo novato y novata, novicio y novicia, hijo e hija, etc.
Está bien. Creo que es una palabra muyyyyy rara.
Do you really need the article there?
2

Grrrrrr, I hate this stuff:

principianta. (De principiante). 1. f. Aprendiza de cualquier arte u oficio.

This word was added recently, all this polical correctness makes me sick sick

updated MAY 28, 2010
It sounds ugly, as "la calor" does, for example. I hate it.
0

Yes, Soy una principiante.

updated MAY 28, 2010
edited by waltico
posted by waltico
It's just "Soy principianta." , with out "una"
0

I would say "soy principiante" for either male or female.

Ana es principiante.

Jose es principiante.

updated MAY 28, 2010
I agree 100%. It makes me sick hear a lot of journalists in Argentina using "presidenta" to refer to our president. I still believe it's wrong, even though it's in the dictionary.
0

She should say Soy novicia = I am a beginner

for example Soy novicia en español = I am a novice at Spanish ./beginner in Spanish

She could also say : Soy novata = I am a novice at Spanish ./beginner in Spanish

updated MAY 27, 2010
edited by FELIZ77
posted by FELIZ77
Feliz. OK you prefer other words. What is the appropriate use of "principiante"? I'm not doubting you, only trying to extend my understanding.
0

Does this need an article. It sounds OK to me simply as "Estoy principiante". This also gives her the opportunity to move into another phase.

updated MAY 27, 2010
posted by geofc
You don't need the article, but you would still use "ser": Soy principiante.
Agreed. Unless the "principiante" is modified, the article is unnecessary.