chamuco - referring to a person. What does this mean?

1

I've been enjoying a novela on TV. It is set in Mexico. But in the story, one of the main chararters is referred to as a "chamuco" (sp?). It's obviously a derrogatory word (and I hope not profanity), but I cannot seem to find its meaning in any dictionary.

updated MAY 21, 2010
posted by richlowery911
Interesting question

1

HI, Rich.

"Chamuco" refers to an evil person, a kind of evil spirited person, or the devil.

Just in case there is a spelling issue, the word "chamaco" is used in Mexico to refer to a boy. I believe it can also be used to refer to a boyfriend, at least in some cases.

I hope this helps.

updated MAY 21, 2010
posted by mountaingirl123
There is no evil connotation in using the word "chamaco", MG?
To my knowledge, "chamaco" is a normal Mexican word meanng "muchacho"
Hey MountainGirl! Thanks so much for the answer. That's exactly what I was looking for. I figured it was something like that because of its usage.. Thanks again!
1

Chamuco is someone too mischevious, usually a kid.

¡Juan, eres un chamucho (devil) ya rompiste un vidrio con la pelota!

John, you're too mischevious, you've already broken a glass window with the ball!

updated MAY 21, 2010
posted by AntMexico
Morbo, Thanks, to you too, for your answer. Knowing a more common use really helps in understanding the conotation.