Could anyone explain this use of the subjunctive to me?

2

I think this question is different enough to merit its own thread. I encountered a sentence that used the subjunctive while I was reading some religious material. At first I was a bit confused because I didn't think the first clause merited the subjunctive but then I guessed that the dependent clause was a 'possible situation'. If that's the case I was wondering if some really awesome person could elaborate on the use of the subjunctive when used for conjecture or could give me some kind of link.

The sentence is:Su espíritu nos ayudará a recordar principios útiles que hayamos leído en la Biblia.

Thanks in advance.

posted by puravidacanuck
I am looking forward to the answer to this one. Delores

5

Here is my take on it.....

Su espíritu nos ayudará a recordar principios útiles que hemos leído en la Biblia

His spirit will help us remember useful principles that we have read in the Bible

Su espíritu nos ayudará a recordar principios útiles que hayamos leído en la Biblia

His spirit will help us remember useful principles that we might have read in the Bible

.....let's wait for more opinions though.

posted by patch
You've got it. The difference in English accurately reflects the difference in Spanish.
2

Great, Thanks for your answer. Could you give me a list of verbs that are followed by an "a" or a link?

list of verbs followed by prepositions

edited by fatchocobo
posted by fatchocobo
Thanks Fatch, I had already found this site, and made flashcards, but your efforts are very much appreciated.
1

There are many verbs that simply require a preposition with their use. You can probably find a compilation of some of them somewhere. Example: Voy a asistir a la clase mañana. Asistir a is one example. I'm sure that someone on the forum can give a good listing. grin

posted by Delores--Lindsey
1

Su espíritu nos ayudará a recordar

Could you tell me how the "a" is being used in this sentence. What is the principle and how is it being applied? thanks.

The verb ayudar is normally followed by the preposition "a".

posted by fatchocobo
0

Great, Thanks for your answer.
Could you give me a list of verbs that are followed by an "a" or a link?

posted by Maria-Russell
0

Su espíritu nos ayudará a recordar

posted by Maria-Russell