la colcha/ el edredón

la colcha/ el edredón


My friend told me that la colcha is a down quilt in English and that el edredón is a quilt without down (feathers) but the dictionary suggests it is the other way around. Does anybody know the difference?

updated OCT 18, 2010
posted by alexengijon

2 Answers


Just to have a more satisfying answer appear below the dictionary entries (this is the only thread under "edredón") :


Un edredón es un tipo de cubierta compuesta por una funda suave tradicionalmente rellena de plumón o material sintético que se utiliza en la cama como manta. Hoy en día, los edredones también se llenan de lana o fibras artificiales como poliéster.


  1. m. Cobertor relleno de esta clase de plumón, o de algodón, miraguano, etc.


La colcha es la cubierta textil que se coloca sobre la ropa de cama.


  1. f. Cobertura de cama que sirve de adorno y abrigo.

Therefore "edredón" would appear to be the appropriate term to use for a down comforter or any stuffed comforter. It is still not clear to me if "colcha" would only apply to unstuffed bedspreads or is a more general term for any bedspread.

updated OCT 18, 2010
posted by Stadt
You beat me :-) - KevinB, OCT 18, 2010
"Edredones" (or "nórdicos") are stuffed, "colchas" are not. "Colchas" are usually for decorative purposes only, and removed before going to sleep - bill1111, OCT 18, 2010
Thanks- now it should be completely clear. - Stadt, OCT 18, 2010

Well my dictionary says that a "colcha" is a bedspread and and "edredon" is a comforter or duvet. It does say that duvet is the North American usage. Since mostly neither of these would contain down or feathers these days, I suggest that you just use whichever word comes first to mind without opening up the seams to find out what's inside. LOL

updated ABR 22, 2010
posted by geofc
SpanishDict is the world's most popular Spanish-English dictionary, translation, and learning website.