Would you say "me gustaba las papas fritas mucho" or "me gustaba mucho las papas fritas"?

0

updated OCT 21, 2010
posted by francievg
The second one sounds better , but I'm thinking both are o.k.

1

Here is what our reference page has to say about the placement of a limiting adjective like "mucho":

A limiting adjective is any adjective that defines a number or amount of a noun, even if it is not specific. Limiting adjectives are placed in front of the noun. "Mucho" is a limiting adjective.

Also, the question asks about "las papas fritas". This is a plural noun. When using "gustar" or "mucho" with a plural noun, it would be necessary to say:

"me gustaban muchos las papas fritas"

updated OCT 21, 2010
edited by Moe
posted by Moe
Really? "Me gustaban muchoS"? Thanks for mentioning that. I never heard that.
"Mucho" is used here as an adverb, not an adjective, and will not change its form.
Oh, okay. I'd never heard it the way Moe had it and I thought it sounded a bit odd.
Tennismom - I believe you are correct. I'll make that change. Thanks. I was just too eager and not too thoughtful.
The rule of thumb that I've always heard was that modifying words go as close to the word in the sentence that they modify as is possible. (to avoid confusion)
Shouldn't it be: Me gustaban muchAS las papas fritas? Because of the concordancia!!
0

the second one

posted by anony_mouse
0

the second one

posted by anony_mouse