HomeQ&AReflexive as emphasis on non-reflexive verbs

Reflexive as emphasis on non-reflexive verbs

1

As the title says. My teacher said the "me" in this is for emphasis, and is optional. My question(s) are:
1) Is this correct?
2) What does the "me" here mean (if not emphasis)?
Por ejemplo:
Me fui al norte para buscar por un trabajo. - I went north to look for a job.
o
¿Te sabes el nombre de mi amigo? - Do you know the name of my friend.
My teacher says that these are right. Is that correct'

updated DIC 5, 2010
posted by manutd

1

Those are not correct and neither of them are reflexive verbs.
Yo fui al norte para buscar por un trabajo. - I went north to look for a job.
o
¿Sabes tú el nombre de mi amigo? - Do you know the name of my friend.
Reflexive verbs are when the subject and the direct object are the same person or it is indicated that the person does something to themself.
(Yo) Me lavo la cara. I wash my face.
Ella se acuesta temprano. She goes to bed early. (She puts herself to bed early.
Mi padre se afetó. My father shaved (himself)
Maria se miró en el espejo. Maria looked at herself in the mirror.

Saber is never reflexive.
Ir can be reflexive but irse means to distance the speaker from the listener or to go away.
Me fui de repente, I took off suddenly.
¡Vete! Go away!

updated DIC 5, 2010
posted by Cherry
1

So then why not Me fui . . .'

updated DIC 5, 2010
posted by Hess
1

Yes, that is what I had always thought. However, my teacher made me extremely confused by saying that these are both right, and that the reflexive pronoun adds emphasis, kind of like using "a ti", etc. I love when my teacher knows less Spanish than I do (roll eyes) =)

updated DIC 5, 2010
posted by manutd
1

Because with the English translation that he had with this didn't match the Spanish. He had

He needed to use the subject pronoun there to end up with the translation of the English that he had.

See this link for how irse is used.
<http://www.wordreference.com/es/en/translation.asp'spen=irse>

updated DIC 5, 2010
posted by Cherry
1

Hi!

This is a difficult grammar question, and it is definitely not appropriate for beginners. ¡No quiero liar a nadie!

"Me fui al norte para buscar por un trabajo" is all right, except that you should leave out "por". "Me" is fine. "Fui al norte a buscar trabajo" is also OK. I think it's all matter of emphasis. But note that when you "leave a place", you must use the "irse" + "de".

• Me voy de aquí. Not Voy de aquí.
  • ¿A qué hora te irás de la oficina? Not ¿A qué hora irás de la oficina?

Of course "de aquí" or "de la oficina" can be implicit.

• Me voy.
  • ¿A qué hora te irás?

If you don't say the pronoun, then you must specify where you are going.

• Voy a casa.
  • ¿A qué hora irás a casa?

But in this case you can use the pronoun for emphasis.

My rule of thumb would be

IRSE + DE
IR(SE) + A

---|--

As for the second one, I wouldn't say it is correct, since "the name of my friend" is not the kind of knowledge that goes with "saber" + "se". I'd say it refers to things you've learnt by heart, as in a lesson, the lyrics of a song or a poem. Examples:

• Me sé todas las lecciones del examen de memoria.
  • ¿Te sabes la letra de la canción?
  • De niño, me sabía un montón de poemas.
  • Se sabe los nombres de todos los jugadores de la liga.

but

• ¿Sabes el nombre de mi amigo?
  • No sabía que tenías hijos.
  • No sé qué hacer.
  • La niña ya sabe leer.

Basically, I would say, these are things you know, rather than things you have learned.

---|--

Please take into account that there are dozens of idiomatic phrases and expressions which apparently contradict these basic rules.

Espero que te sirva de ayuda.

Carlos Cayetano

updated DIC 5, 2010
posted by Cayetano-A-Arags
1

Lo siento pero no. Lo que te he escrito es cosecha propia.

Un saludo,

Carlos Cayetano

updated DIC 5, 2010
posted by Cayetano-A-Arags
1

Mil gracias! Tienes un sitio web con una lista de verbos así'

updated DIC 5, 2010
posted by manutd
1

Bueno, gracias para tu ayuda! En el futuro, usaré verbos en el conjugación normal =)

updated DIC 5, 2010
posted by manutd
1

1) Yes, it is not necessary to say "me" , it would also be correct to say "Fui al norte..." Also, it is more correct to say "buscar un trabajo" the "por" is not necessary. I'm sorry, I don't know what that is called, but the verb "buscar" essentially means "to look for" so you don't need to add "for". Nor do you really need "un" for that matter...trabajo means "work" not "job" so you can't really look for one of it. If that makes any sense. Sorry...my grammar is rusty...Anyway, the sentence should read "[Me] fui al norte para buscar trabajo"

2) This one should read "Tu sabes el nombre..." Saber is not a reflexive verb (I think that's what I mean. Obviously I'm not a teacher...I know how to say it, but not how to explain it!)

updated DIC 5, 2010
posted by Carol
1

the first i think is partially correct...
i have heard me fui... and ive asked and in some cases i agree with your teacher the me is used for emphasis especially with the verb to go or irse. Im in mexico and they always say.. me voy a un parte... or me voy a banarme...
what i think would be correct is me fue al norte para buscar un trabajo.
Im not positive about the second but i know for a fact that it would be correct without the te..
I think its unecessary and redundant.

updated DIC 5, 2010
posted by maria16