HomeQ&ASprain / Strain

Sprain / Strain


I would like anyone in the medical field (or just knowledgeable) this question.

I know there are different words for sprain (esquince, dislocacion, falseo, torcedura, distencion). Which is MOST commonly used?

For strain (tiron, desgarre) Which is MOST commonly used?

updated ABR 10, 2010
posted by kmeza

2 Answers


for sprain you commonly use torcedura and for strain you use desgarre.

updated ABR 10, 2010
posted by yera

I would say I have seen "torcedura" used in several places. Dislocacion means "dislocation", which is different from a sprain. Desgarre is a tear, as in a ligament or muscle tear of some sort.

I am not an expert in Spanish medicine yet, but I've been working on a medical reference article for this site. I will be interested to hear what those who are fluent have to say. smile

Here is something that might help: sprains

updated ABR 10, 2010
edited by Nicole-B
posted by Nicole-B
SpanishDict is the world's most popular Spanish-English dictionary, translation, and learning website.
© Curiosity Media Inc.