Another word for trabajadoras


My understanding is that "trabajadoras" refers to all working women. Is there a Spanish word to refer exclusively to professional working women or women working in offices?

updated ABR 9, 2010
posted by Rikko

3 Answers


Hi Rikko!! In fact, they are all "trabajadoras", but if you need to make a difference you can say:

-professional working women: profesionales

-women working in offices: oficinistas or administrativas

-women working in a factory: obreras

updated ABR 9, 2010
posted by Benz
Thank you, Benz. I think either profesionales or oficinistas would be the word I am looking for. Profesionales sounds nicer though.

HI rikko, hmm,

mujer trabajadora: working woman

obrera: normally some kind of "manual" work implied, like construction or cleaning

updated ABR 9, 2010
posted by 00494d19
Thank you, Heidita, but it seems to me that there is not much difference between trabajadora and obrera, so I was thinking perhaps there is another distinctive word.

Female office worker is funcionaria and in some cases they could be secretaria.

updated ABR 9, 2010
posted by kenwilliams
In Argentina "funcionario/a" is used for the people who work for the Government, and "secretria" is epecifically "secretary" :)
Yes same here, but they are working in office administration so they are a type of office worker, teachers and other public servants work for the government but you don't call them funcionarios.