HomeQ&AMeaning of Changara

Meaning of Changara

0

What does "changara" mean? as in "Va a tener una changara."

I thought it meant a have a fight, but cannot find. Could this be a Cuban use of the word?

When I looked up, the closest thing I found was a joke.

Thank you.

posted by vlinnell

1

Changarra: with two r's. It is kind of like junk, old clothes. Changara with one r? I have no clue.

posted by 00e46f15
¿Dónde se usa es término, Sylyon? Me gusta aprender cómo le dicen a las cosas en otros países. - Gekkosan, ABR 5, 2010
I'm from the North part of Mexico. We use that word sometimes, even when you can't think of the name of the thing that you want. - 00e46f15, ABR 5, 2010
Ejemplo: Instead of saying "Pass me that thing" "Pásame la cosa esa - 00e46f15, ABR 5, 2010
O "Pásame la changarra esa..." - 00e46f15, ABR 5, 2010
Changarro with an o, means store (slang). Ex. "Tengo que ir a abrir mi changarro."" I have to go and open my store" - 00e46f15, ABR 5, 2010
1

Changarro = second hand stall or shop in Mexico. Changara region in Mozambique

posted by albert-fabrik-
1

I haven't heard that word, and really wouldn't hazard a guess at to its meaning. I can think of three possibilities ( a quick search in Google shows it's not a common word, used in the context you present it):

It is misspelled, and perhaps you heard or saw something similar (I can think of at least one word).

It is one of those very localized slang words that is only used in a small region.

It is a made up slang word (I do that every now and then).

I'll keep an eye on this post to see if someone comes up with its meaning. I like to learn new words! grin

posted by Gekkosan
0

I asked my cousin who offered this explanation to charanga:

Yo creo que la altercacion sera charanga (con el acento en la penultima silaba) que changara (es esdrujula) va con pachanga que es hacer bulla o ruido. Como bailar la Pachanga.

This approximates what I had oriiginally thought it was, a kind of altercation of sorts; but still unable to find in any dictionary. Maybe it is a slang word used in Cuba? Would like to know if any other Cubans remember using this word.

edited by vlinnell
posted by vlinnell