HomeQ&A'pop up' dictionary 'may not be accurate'

'pop up' dictionary 'may not be accurate'

1

I don't know how important things like this are, but when viewing a verb conjugation and double-clicking a word (to activate the dictionary pop-up), I find there are some inconsistencies.

For example, go to the conjugation for the verb 'haber' and in the Present Indicative tense, double-click 'he' and the little pop-up says he = él I don't really know what it's trying to tell me, but I know that haber in 1st person singular present tense doesn't mean he

Well, if you double-click on the second person has the little dictionary pop-up says has = ha. Double-click on the third person and you get ha = has. Might as well try hemos, but then after double-clicking I get hemos = we. Double-clicking on han and the dictionary window gives you han = have

From other conjugations and using this pop-up dictionary feature, it seems to me that the second word given is in English, or at least sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't.

For the verb haber, shouldn't it say something like this.....

1. I have
  2. You have
  3. He/She/Ud. has
  4. We have
  5. They have

Whatever is to the right of the equal sign in the dictionary pop-up should be English or Spanish (I don't care, but be consistent), and it should include the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd person or NOT, just be consistent)

Another example, the verb Saber; In the Indicative Preterit you get: 1st (I knew) 2nd (knew) 3rd (knew) Why wouldn't 2nd and 3rd say You knew and He/She knew?

I don't know how many people depend on the little pop-up dictionary, but to me it seems unreliable at best. Yes, I have read and understand the disclaimer "May not be accurate"
tongue wink

Thanks for looking at this. I hope some of it made sense.

posted by Jack-OBrien

0

...the dictionary pop-up should be English or Spanish ...I don't care, but be consistent...

I agree that consistency is very important. I don't rely on the pop-ups for this reason.

0

I usually use it for a first glance then click on the word if I need further definition. You are right.

posted by nizhoni1