HomeQ&Aestantería

estantería

1

I have been trying to ascertain the Spanish translation for the word "bookcase". I have been told it is "estantería", but when I look it up in Spanish-English dictionaries it mostly comes up as shelf. If I were in a kitchen that had a bookcase and I said to someone : "Puse la carta sobre la estantería", would they understand that I meant the bookcase or would I need to clarify? If a further clarification is needed then what would I need to say to clearly indicate that I meant the bookcase and not a shelf that had cookware on it?

updated MAR 30, 2010
posted by Jsanthara

1

A note about custom and usage:

If you see the little exchange between Marianne and me in the comments area of Marianne's post, you will get a fine example of the differences that come in play between "technically correct" language, and how a language is used on a daily basis on a given place.

Marianne learned one way to refer to an object, and in the cultural context where she learned, that's probably the common way to refer to the object.

I learned a different way - although I would understand perfectly is someone told me: "está sobre el estante". It so happens that the RAE dictionary agrees with the way I learned the word - but it does not mean that what Marianne learned is functionally wrong. People use language differently in different countries and regions, and that's why it is important to practice with the natives of an area, if you you really wish to fit with the flow on an informal conversation.

updated MAR 30, 2010
posted by Gekkosan
1

Estantería is basically a shelf. It can be a bookshelf, but it can be any other type of shelf.

If you want to make sure you are referring to a bookcase of a bookshelf, then you may want to say: "biblioteca", which by the way is the same word for "library".

updated MAR 30, 2010
posted by Gekkosan
Thanks for the clarification, Gekkosan. :-) - --Mariana--, MAR 30, 2010
0

I was under the impression that a shelf was "estante" and a bookcase was "estantería" (a set of shelves).

Let's wait and see what others have to say. grin

Edit Please see Gekkosan's answer!

updated MAR 30, 2010
edited by --Mariana--
Oh you disbeliever! Check it out on the RAE! :-D - Gekkosan, MAR 30, 2010
No, no, not a disbeliever....just confused! jejeje - --Mariana--, MAR 30, 2010
In fact, it is more likely that "un estante" is used as a bookshelf than "una estantería"! - Gekkosan, MAR 30, 2010
Oh, boy, now I'm really confused. I must have learned this wrong somewhere. lol. - --Mariana--, MAR 30, 2010
You are not the only one. - ian-hill, MAR 30, 2010