HomeQ&AIs there a way to tell if a word is a female or a male word? (without finding out each one separately)

Is there a way to tell if a word is a female or a male word? (without finding out each one separately)

2
votes

Is there a way to tell if a word is a female or a male word? (Without finding out what each one is separately) Thank you.

1378 views
updated MAR 23, 2010
posted by espanolalumna
The answer is no. Sorry - ian-hill, MAR 23, 2010
What if the word doesn't end with either? (or do all nouns end with a or o?) - espanolalumna, MAR 23, 2010
That is one of the problems not all nouns end in O or A - ian-hill, MAR 23, 2010

3 Answers

1
vote

Hi and welcome to the forum.

You'll have to learn the general rules, such as words ending in -O are masculine and words ending in -A are feminine. Then learn the exceptions, such as "la mano" and "el agua."

I've seen some tricks to learning the general rules, for example L-O-S-E-R-S is a way to remember that words ending in those letters are generally masculine. Also, D-ION-Z-A for the endings which are generally feminine words.

Search the web and look at several lessons on gender and you'll get 90% of it. The remaining 10% we just guess until someone corrects us.

grin

updated MAR 23, 2010
edited by --Mariana--
posted by --Mariana--
Thank you! :) - espanolalumna, MAR 23, 2010
I've also learned the "tricks" Marianne mentions. They work pretty well. Might get you up to 95%. Thanks Marianne. - MexGuy, MAR 23, 2010
0
votes

Casi siempre, pero--"tengo un problema porque escribo los poemas..."

updated MAR 23, 2010
posted by ianmac969
0
votes

if it ends in an A it's feminine and if it ends in an O it's masculine.

updated MAR 23, 2010
posted by dbearcani
Not always. !!! - ian-hill, MAR 23, 2010
SpanishDict is the world's most popular Spanish-English dictionary, translation, and learning website.
© Curiosity Media Inc.