HomeQ&AAlegrar and verbs like gustar

Alegrar and verbs like gustar

1

In the section on verbs like gustar they list alegrar. But alegrar is a transitive verb what is the subject in the sentence : me alegro de que me hagas esa pregunta which is the dictionary under alegrar. Shouldn't it be me alegra < subject>?

posted by tom10
Wonderful question - vanyatka, JUN 17, 2011

2

This verb can be used both as transitive and as intransitive. In your sentence, it is intransitive pronominal, since it does not have any direct or indirect objects. "Me alegra..." is also correct, and it can be regarded as transitive or intransitive depending on how it is used. Basically, this verb admits more than one construction.

posted by lazarus1907
Perfect answer. - Izanoni1, JUN 17, 2011
1

I don't know how to explain it but you mean the same if you say

Me alegra que hayas hecho esa pregunta. Me alegro de que hayas hecho esa pregunta.

posted by AntMexico
0

When I first saw 'Me alegro' used in the text, I thought it was a mistake: It seems like it should be 'Me alegra que...'. However, the former version is also used.

More info on this is here

link text

posted by vanyatka