HomeQ&Ado mexicans have a different meaning to alcahuete?

do mexicans have a different meaning to alcahuete?

1

I was having a disagreement with a co-worker about x subject. My co-worker saw another co-worker and said"Verdad que si, tu me tu me avisastes" And the third co-worker said" si,you te avise" and I said"El no mas esta de alcahute".I was trying to make a point that the third co-worker didn't care if it was true or not he was just only trying to agree with the second co-worker or that he was just covering him up. So did I used alcahuete ;incorrectly?

updated MAR 14, 2010
posted by gaonasteve32

1

Alcahuete is always negative. It means an informant. Here where I live means "boots licker" of someone.

updated MAR 14, 2010
posted by ismarodri_uy
Boot licker fits the context well. - 0074b507, MAR 14, 2010
1

I guess in traditional Spanish, "Alcahuete" means either Pimp, whoremongerer or gossiper, but in my experience living in Mexico (albeit only for 1 year) I would say alcahuete would be used to say "gossiper". Pimp would be more like "Padrote." This is just my opinion, though.

updated MAR 13, 2010
posted by milgracias
0

If you had taken the meaning as a go-between as our dictionary suggests is possible, you wouldn't seem to be using it correctly. A go-between would be working to reconcile both sides to an accord; not just supporting the 2nd co-worker's side.

Our dictionay (alcahuete) says:

1. lover's go-between (mediador)

I was wondering if that mediator was like a match-maker (settling things like dowry amounts, or bride prices) agreeable to both sides or if it was a facilitator like Cyrano de Bergerac served (wooing the girl) for his friend.

In the latter vein, the dictionary's definition of "pimp" might apply.

¡Bienvenido al foro!

updated MAR 14, 2010
0

In Argentina, alcahuete can mean "informador", i.e. a whistleblower, but I guess it depends on each country.

updated MAR 13, 2010
posted by Benz