Como se dice el título en inglés: Bachelor of Science en Spanish?

Como se dice el título en inglés: Bachelor of Science en Spanish?


How do you say the college degree called: Bachelor of Science in spanish?
And, is it the same as a "Licensiado"? Thanks, H. Kaplan

updated MAR 9, 2010
posted by Jaui

5 Answers


"Bachelor of Science" is "Bachiller en Ciencias"

All Latinoamerican countries have different ways to grant their degrees.

In my country, Perú, you study 4-5 years at the University to get this degree "Bachiller" but it's always specific not general. For example:

"Bachiller en Educación" (for teachers),

"Bachiller en Psicología" (for psychologists)

"Bachiller en Arquitectura" (for architects)

To get the "Licenciatura" and the Title for that profession you have to do an extra work like to do a thesis or passing a Professional Examination, sometimes to take extra courses (a foreign language) to get more credits to complete the academic requirements for the "Licenciatura" in that profession.

updated MAR 9, 2010
posted by Doriz
In Argentina "Bachiller" is just a "High School Diploma", while "Licenciatura" is a University degree - Benz, MAR 9, 2010
Thank you, es en una buena respuesta, debido a que Ud. ha señalado la necesidad de haber tomado exitosamente un "Professional Exam.", y/o haber escrito un thesis. Lo q acabo de mencionar, es el "icing on the cake",para ser titulado "licensiado" - Jaui, MAR 9, 2010
In my case it was a B.S. degree in HEALTH SCIENCE! It is "specific", as you suggested.Thank you. - Jaui, MAR 9, 2010

"Licenciatura en Idioma Español"... and you are "Licenciado en idioma Español"

updated MAR 9, 2010
posted by Benz
So, is it correct then, that my San Diego State University degree: Bachelor of Science (B.S.) in Health Science, if effect, means that I am a "Licensidado" in that field? - Jaui, MAR 8, 2010
I mispelled Licensiado, added an extra d by mistake, sorry! - Jaui, MAR 8, 2010
Yes, "Licenciado" is the academic title used by lawyers and persons with bachelor level college degrees in many fields. - Benz, MAR 9, 2010

Someone above made a great point made about being careful when conferring titles. In Mexico completion of a 4-year college degree and thesis results in a "licenciatura," this is in fact a recognition by the powers that be and, as such, is considered an official title for said individual. While it is common to refer to those who have a comparable degree from another country, such as the US, as "licenciados," if push came to shove, it would be considered illegal for you to use this title professionally or even on a business card (though it happens all the time).

updated MAR 9, 2010
posted by mexbanks
In the final analysis then,I am just a college graduate with a B.S. Degree in Health Science, nothing more and nothing less! Y punto! "Licensiado" does NOT apply to me. - Jaui, MAR 9, 2010

I wouldn't start adopting equivalent titles that haven't been conferred upon you.

In Ohio, Texas, and Pennsylvania I am a licensed, Professional Engineer, because I have a Bachelors Degree in Civil Engineering from an accredited university, 4 years of professional experience and I have passed state engineering examinations in those states.

If I went to Alabama, I am no longer licensed, a professional engineer, or anything but a college graduate. If I applied to earn an advanced degree in Alabama it would be up to their college boards to recognize my previous degree or I might not even be considered a college graduate. If I wished to practice engineering I would have to meet all of the requirements of Alabama before I could perform even simple engineering duties. Reciprocity among the States and accreditation of schools exist, but they are not automatic and cannot be assumed.

If you want to put Licenciado on your business card you better find someone with the authority to grant you the titlle and not just say that you have its equivalence in education.

updated MAR 9, 2010
posted by 0074b507
According to a comment below, a thesis is required to be an official "licensiado", which was not done or required at the time to receive the B.S. Degree, in 1976. - Jaui, MAR 9, 2010
Is it true then, on the same logic, an m.d. in México, may not be an m.d. in "X" state in the U.S. A? I am aware that a u.s. medical license must be obtained in the state where the doctor is practicing to be able to legally engage in the practice. - Jaui, MAR 9, 2010


Are you sure that is a Bachelor of Science? I would have thought a degree in Spanish would be a Bachelor of Arts.

updated MAR 9, 2010
edited by webdunce
posted by webdunce
Please note that my degree is in "Health Science", and not in Spanish. - Jaui, MAR 9, 2010
SpanishDict is the world's most popular Spanish-English dictionary, translation, and learning website.