There are no shrinking violetes here recognizable translation

0

I would like a good translation where the words are somewhat recognizable to English speakers for the following phrase: "There are no shrinking violets here." I used "no hay disminucion de violetas aqu"i but have been told that disminucion is not used very often.

Suggestions include estas violetas no se acaban and estas violetas no se disminuen.

Neither seems to translate exactly to there are non shrinking violets here. disminuen is more recognizable. But I am not ssure if nonSpanish speakers will get the sentence form.

I am looking for something that makes sense and replaces that word. Or an entirely different phrase that means the same thing and has recognizable words in because the English and Spanish versions of the words have the same roots.

Can you help?

posted by wolverton

2

Oh in that case (it is an idiom) do not try to translate using the word violet because it will never have any sense... just try to find another idiom with similar meaning... like

No hay inocentes margaritas aqui....

meaning: there are not innocent or shy ladies here.

margaritas = daisy

let see what the forum think about this idiom I have proposed.

posted by juluque
perfect
1

a shrinking violet is a timid woman

REally???? big surprise Well, that is easy then,

there is no Heidita around: No hay ninguna como Heidita aquí.raspberry

you are kidding right?
jejejjejejejejejej
0

shrinking violet

Function: noun

Date: 1915

A bashful or retiring person

© 2005 Merriam-Webster, Incorporated

posted by Carlos-F
0

a shrinking violet is a timid woman

A shrinking violet refers to a very shy, modest or unassuming person.

It can be applied equally to either a woman or man, and is sometimes used to refer to a man who lacks a backbone or to describe a man who is overly timid (in a deprecating manner).

Here is the OED entry that dates the use of this word from about 1915

d. shrinking violet, a shy or modest person.

1915 N. L. MCCLUNG In Times like These vi. 83 Voting will not be compulsory; the shrinking violets will not be torn from their shady fence-corner; the ‘home bodies’ will be able to still sit in rapt contemplation of their own fireside. 1949 E. COXHEAD Wind in West iii. 83 You believe in the shrinking-violet technique, do you? 1966 R. SEVERN Desperate Rendezvous viii. 70 ‘Time will convince you both how indispensable I have been...’ Wilson scowled. ‘A real shrinking violet, aren't you?’ he said. 1976 Listener 22 July 90/1 Frayn has not forgotten the underdog... The shrinking violet (as he rightly recognizes) is the most dangerous plant in the glades of privilege.

edited by Izanoni1
posted by Izanoni1
0

I know, never heard that expression in English either! raspberry

posted by juluque
0

a shrinking violet is a timid woman

posted by wolverton
0

Hmm, and what would a shrinking violet be?? big surprise

edited by 00494d19