HomeQ&AQuick way to determine your level of Spanish fluency...

Quick way to determine your level of Spanish fluency...

16

For all those interested in trying to establish how far along you are on your journey to fluency, I found this interesting. It is from the Common European Framework of Reference: Learning/Teaching Assessment. Do any of us need to change our profiles?wink LOL LOL

Basic 1 Basic Level No Spanish at all

Basic 2 A1 Can understand and use familiar everyday expressions and very basic phrases aimed at the satisfaction of needs of a concrete type. Can introduce him/herself and others and can ask and answer questions about personal details such as where he/she lives, people he/she knows and things he/she has. Can interact in a simple way provided the other person talks slowly and clearly and is prepared to help.

Basic 3 A2 Can understand sentences and frequently used expressions related to areas of most immediate relevance (e.g. very basic personal and family information, shopping, local geography, employment). Can communicate in simple and routine tasks requiring a simple and direct exchange of information on familiar and routine matters. Can describe in simple terms aspects of his/her background, immediate environment and matters in areas of immediate need.

Intermediate 1 B1 Can understand the main points of clear standard input on familiar matters regularly encountered in work, school, leisure, etc. Can deal with most situations likely to arise whilst travelling in an area where the language is spoken. Can produce simple connected text on topics which are familiar or of personal interest. Can describe experiences and events, dreams, hopes & ambitions and briefly give reasons and explanations for opinions and plans.

Intermediate 2 B2 Can understand the main ideas of complex text on both concrete and abstract topics, including technical discussions in his/her field of specialisation. Can interact with a degree of fluency and spontaneity that makes regular interaction with native speakers quite possible without strain for either party. Can produce clear, detailed text on a wide range of subjects and explain a viewpoint on a topical issue giving the advantages and disadvantages of various options.

Advanced 1 C1 Can understand a wide range of demanding, longer texts, and recognise implicit meaning. Can express him/herself fluently and spontaneously without much obvious searching for expressions. Can use language flexibly and effectively for social, academic and professional purposes. Can produce clear, well-structured, detailed text on complex subjects, showing controlled use of organisational patterns, connectors and cohesive devices.

Advanced 2 C2 Can understand with ease virtually everything heard or read. Can summarise information from different spoken and written sources, reconstructing arguments and accounts in a coherent presentation. Can express him/herself spontaneously, very fluently and precisely, differentiating finer shades of meaning even in more complex situations.

updated Sep 14, 2010
posted by Nicole-B
Great job Nicole!!! - Benz, Feb 18, 2010
I don't recognize the word "recognise" ;-) - chaparrito, Feb 18, 2010

3

I have a much better definition for this:

Intermediate 2 B2 -----I can do Heidi's killers, but I don't get many of the idioms.

Advanced 1 C1 ------I can do Heidi's killer threads, but I still have problems with themconfused

Advanced 2 C2-----I can do Heidi's killers, no problem at all raspberry

LOL

updated Sep 14, 2010
What about my level: "0 -A 0...When I see Heidi's killer threads I have a panic attack! jejeje - Nicole-B, Feb 18, 2010
I think you have to be at least at level A2 before you even realize you -should- have a panic attack when seeing Heidita's killers. - Goyo, Jun 3, 2010
I have yet to see one of Heidi's killers...pero me gustaria intentarlo!!!! - ambie18, Sep 14, 2010
1

This is extremely helpful. Thanks so much for posting. smile I guess I still have a bit of studying to do before I can comfortably say I'm at the intermediate level. smile

updated Feb 18, 2010
posted by jaimecole
You can do it!! - Nicole-B, Feb 18, 2010
1

I suppose I would be Basic A1 when speaking/listening, and A2 when writing. Still need that dictionary by my side!

Still quite a ways to go!

updated Feb 18, 2010
edited by TheSilentHero
posted by TheSilentHero
Never give up!!! You're doing great! - Nicole-B, Feb 18, 2010
1

Thank you, Nicole smile

I teach according to this framework and we have the above levels subdivided, so that they correspond with year courses.

I guess I'm somewhere in between A2 (Waystage) and B1 (Threshold), but I think I need to be tested.

updated Feb 18, 2010
posted by Issabela
I had never heard of this standard before, but found it interesting. What do you teach? - Nicole-B, Feb 18, 2010
English in a language school. - Issabela, Feb 18, 2010
I think that you are being modest... - Nathaniel, Feb 18, 2010
She is definitely being modest!! - Luciente, Feb 18, 2010
1

I put myself at:

Speaking / Listening: Basic 2 (A1)

Reading / Writing: Basic 3 (A2), occasionally Intermediate 1 (B1)

updated Feb 18, 2010
edited by webdunce
posted by webdunce
0

This is a great thread that I think should reappear occasionally. I still wish that SD could use this for the Spanish/English proficiency on our profiles. I do like Heidita's definition a little better though wink

updated Jun 3, 2010
posted by alba3
0

I found this at 2AM, so I'm not sure if many saw this. smile I have found it helpful.

updated Feb 18, 2010
posted by Nicole-B