HomeQ&Aaccent names

accent names


Can someone tell me the names of the accents over the vowels in some words¿

updated FEB 12, 2010
posted by consuelateq
Good question! - Nicole-B, FEB 12, 2010

2 Answers


I believe they're acutes or even just accents. On this site they frequently use the term "tilde" but I think technically that's just the name of the curly thing over the n (ñ).

updated FEB 12, 2010
posted by chull
Thanks...That's what I thought, too. - consuelateq, FEB 12, 2010

Hola Consuela,

Here is the reference article about this topic. I'm glad you asked the question. I learned a thing or two as I read it.accents wink smile

updated FEB 12, 2010
posted by Nicole-B
Thank you so much. I'm just going to have to memorize these exception...I printed it out for easy reference. - consuelateq, FEB 12, 2010
SpanishDict is the world's most popular Spanish-English dictionary, translation, and learning website.
© Curiosity Media Inc.