Typing special Characters (áéíóúñ¿¡)

1

I know there are shortcuts for typing special characters, and I know how to type them in MS Word documents, but it doesn't work on webpages (such as this one) or other documents. Can anyone tell me where to find a list of shortcuts that work in all programs? I keep a word doc on my desktop with the characters on it so I can copy/paste when I need them...very time consuming!

Le agradezco su ayuda.

posted by gadjetman

4

This is a really common question. It was asked here a while back. Some of the more useful answers:

Follow this link to the Reference Page where you will find instructions for typing Spanish Characters ----> Type Spanish Characters

And:

For people who use keyboards other than QWERTY:

I know this is very rare but there are people that do not use the QWERTY keyboard layout (I used dvorak). Getting the accented letters to work without the ALT codes can be difficult. However it can be much easier if you create a slightly altered keyboard map.

Download Microsoft Keyboard Layout Center and add right alt keys. If you do not use windows, just google keyboard layout. There is an editor for all OSs.

If you use a Mac you just have to turn on International support. You just hold down the apple key and press the letter you want the accent on. It is very easy and works with all keyboard layouts.

posted by Lasairfiona
2

Press Alt-0225 for á Alt-0233 for é Alt-0237 for í Alt-0243 for ó Alt-0250 for ú Alt-0191 for ¿ Alt-0161 for ¡ Alt-0241 for ñ Alt-0193 for Á Alt-0201 for É Alt-0205 for Í Alt-0211 for Ó Alt-0218 for Ú

Is this what you were looking for?

posted by LuisaGomezBartle
I had tried that before with no result, but just discoverd that I have to use the number pad rather than the number keys above the qwerty keys. :)
That works but it takes so long! Use the US International Keyboard and you'rem all set.
US International Keyboard? Can you clarify what that is?
Yeah: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keyboard_layout#US-International You can turn it on in the regional settings of your control panel in windows.
2

ere is the website I used to install and use the Spanish keyboard for both my Mac and PC! I use Mac at home and PC and work.

link

This site explains how to to do everything. I prefer switching between the types of keyboards I use on my computer with just the touch of an icon in your home screen tool bar. It is so much faster than constantly hitting the control and alt keys. As I am a beginner, I feel while using the Spanish keyboard I am enhancing my educational experience in all things Spanish too!

Hope this is helpful! And welcome to the site.

edited by yogamamaof2
posted by yogamamaof2
I type fast enough that stopping to reach over and move a mouse to press a button really slows me down. :P
1

press down the famous num lock key, then, alt and 133 for à, alt and 138 for è, alt and 161 for í, alt and 163 for ú, alt and 164 for ñ, Don't forget to take off the num lock key when you're done. That's what works on my keyboard

posted by Maria-Russell
1

To piggyback on Luisa's post & gadjetman's comment:

Press Alt + 0171 to get the opening quotation marks « (as they're used en español)

Press Alt + 0187 to get the closing quotation marks »

To type the long dash — such as those used surrounding this clause —
Press Alt + 0151.

While holding down the Alt key, use the numeric keypad to type the numbers that correspond with the Spanish letter, punctuation, etc that you want.
You do not need to press the + key.

Hope this helps! wink

posted by Dee914
I've never seen the "«" or "»" used before, but I'm still in first-year education. :)~