what are th rules for using "this," "these," "that," and "those,"?

0

In Spanish, as in "este", "eso," etc, I kind of understand, but if anyone could expand on it, that would be well appreciated.

updated DIC 27, 2009
edited by Aiyoku
posted by Aiyoku
The Reference Section explains everything on Demonstrative Pronouns - I highly recommend it.

0

This= esto, that=eso, that over there=aquello. I think this is correct!!!!!

updated DIC 27, 2009
posted by mike123587
0

This brown cow is yours.(Pointing at the cow nearest you).

Not that black cow. (pointing to the cow farther away from you).

These cows are mine.( Pointing at the cow nearest you). Those cows are yours. (pointing to the cows farther away from you).

updated DIC 27, 2009
posted by 00769608
Incredible, I did not made any mistakes on the above listing. Why? because the editing tool is out of order.
Are you refering to "mother-in-laws"? jejeje
No sir, I am not talking about mothers in -laws
It was an example of how to use this,that ,those. Please forgive me, if I was not clear.
0

........................................This..................................................

Denoting (pointing)something nearer that or constrasting with something else.

These is the plural tense of this..............................................

...................................That.................................... pertaining to some person or thing previously mentioned,understood or specifically designated.

Those is the plural of that.

updated DIC 27, 2009
edited by 00769608
posted by 00769608
You didn't differentiate between ese y aquello which is what usually confuses students
The first sentence should read near than instead of nearer that- I was unable to edit my asnwer.
Something is wrong with the editig tool.
It is not clear if he wants the Spanish grammar or the English grammar. As far I know, there are people wanting to learn English thru this forum.
0

This - near you (singular)

These - near you (plural)

That - away from you (singular)

Those - away from you (plural)

updated DIC 27, 2009
edited by Eddy
0

It depends on whether this, that, these and those are demonstrative adjectives or demonstrative pronouns.

that book=demonstrative adjective

Hand me that, please. =demonstrative pronoun

updated DIC 27, 2009