when do you use A in a sentence?

1

when writing a sentence, how do you know when to use "A" ?

for example:

A sonia le gusta leer unos libros.

should i have put the "A" in there?.... i just don't know when to use it.... please help confused

updated DIC 21, 2009
posted by kelsey95
Very good question :)

3

This is called the "personal A." I believe there is an article on it in our reference section.

Beso a Marco. I kiss Mark.

Roberto besa a Lina. Robert kisses Lina.

In both of these sentences there is an A before the object of the sentence because both objects are people.

A Sonia le gusta leer unos libros. To Sonia reading books is pleasing. (She likes reading books.)

Sonia is the object, despite her being in the beginning of the sentence, and therefore there is an A before her name.

This A is used almost all of the time except some cases with Tener and never with Hay.

Hay dos niños en la sala. There are two children in the room.

Tengo dos niños. I have two children.

Veo a los niños. I see the children.

A los niños les gusta nadar. The children like swimming.

updated DIC 21, 2009
edited by 003487d6
Specifically, Sonia is the indirect object. The subject appears to be the clause "leer unos libros."
oh yep :)
very well done
0

How you have it is correct, however when speaking most people would just start with Sonia, just because it's obviously implied that she's the subject.

updated DIC 20, 2009
posted by Danieljoseph
Sonia is not the subject and, in my experience, most people would not omit the "a".
0

You hit the million dollar question!!!! That 'a' can be tricky and goes in M A N Y places!!!!!! Learning where (and this comes from much reading and writing, two years of it for me) it goes can take a while smile

Almost always before a persons name after a verb.....I will let the grammar experts answer this one for you :0

updated DIC 20, 2009
posted by sunshinzmommie