"I'm improving" and the present proggresive

5

Since we use the present progressive only to describe something that we're in the process of doing at the moment (that's my understanding at least), what is the best way to say "I'm improving?" I may be gradually getting better at something, but estoy mejorando doesn't seem to fit the criteria for present progressive.

Puesto que usamos el presente progresivo solo para describir algo un curso de hacer en el momento, ¿cual es el mejor via decir "I'm improving?" Estoy mejorando no parece satisfacer los criterios para presente progresivo.

Corrections to this trainwreck of a Spanish construction are welcome! snake red face

updated DIC 15, 2009
edited by Brett1971
posted by Brett1971

1

Spanish is so confusing sometimes. Can you say Estoy mejorando without an object or do you either have to say: Me estoy mejorando. O Estoy mejorando mi español? confused confused

updated DIC 15, 2009
I agree
0

Is there a consensus that this is just a nebulous area that nevertheless falls into the present progressive?

updated DIC 15, 2009
posted by Brett1971
Estoy de acuerdo :) Sí
0

So is the present progressive ok for these kinds of somewhat abstract and temporally ambiguous concepts? You can't see me improving. It's not like it's happening right now, which I think is the benchmark for present progressive. You could ask me "how's your Spanish coming?" and I might respond "I feel like I'm really improving," because I studied all last month, but I haven't even thought about Spanish for the last week.

updated DIC 15, 2009
posted by Brett1971
I believe strictly speakin it is used for what is occurring right now, but in casual speech those resitrictions are looser
So would there be a strictly proper way to say this other than estoy mejorando?
0

I'd go with Dandi and Mountaingirl's way of saying it:

Me estoy mejorando.

Estoy mejorando mi español

updated DIC 15, 2009
0

I would think (and this is just my opinion) that in this case the simple present and the present progressive would be somewhat interchangeable. I would think that the use of the present progressive would occur if you wanted to place extra emphasis on the fact that the improvement was taking place as we speak. What do you think? Does this make sense?

updated DIC 15, 2009
edited by Izanoni1
posted by Izanoni1
I'm interested to hear feedback on this.
0

As far as I am concerned that's exactly what I would say for I am improving with regards to say, learning Spanish, "estoy mejorando".

updated DIC 15, 2009
edited by Eddy
0

I agree with Eddy. I did some research on forums and it seems to be the right think to say. Pues, está verdaderamente mejorando grin

updated DIC 15, 2009
posted by planf
0

I agree with Eddy: "Estoy mejorando" sounds good to me.

updated DIC 15, 2009