HomeQ&A"Comer" y "Jamar"

"Comer" y "Jamar"

1

¿Cuál es la diferencia entre "comer" y "jamar"? I tried to look out for the differences but both of them are listed as "to eat".

updated NOV 21, 2009
edited by 0068e2f4
posted by smalleye86

1

Jamar is used in Cuba as slang for comer, but it is considered somewhat vulgar.

Jama jamé jamón --- Ni jamás lo jamaras --- (Jamás comí jamón --- Ni jamás lo comeras)

This saying came about during the Castro's era. The phrase means: "I never ate ham " --- "and you will never eat it" It was used to mock the regime for the shortage of food and the actual disappearance of ham from the island.

updated NOV 21, 2009
posted by 0068e2f4
0

Urban Dictionary definition of Jamar:

A young child,with an afro.likes to egg cars,Tp houses,do grafitti and behave in other delinquent manners.He can dance and is very chill.

updated NOV 21, 2009
posted by 00515f39
This would be seen as offensive to some people, mortimer. It is stereotyping African Americans. - aloshek, NOV 21, 2009
There are lots of people who have afros and are not African American. - 00515f39, NOV 21, 2009
0

I just looked up "jamar" and that also means to eat greedily or to "scoff". Whereas comer means to eat (normally). The verb jamar was marked as coloquial and so I suppose that it is not used everywhere. Maybe someone will post information in which countries it is used.

updated NOV 21, 2009
posted by 00515f39
I suspect that you meant "scarf". - samdie, NOV 21, 2009
0

I am aware the jamar is used in Portuguese, but I don't know if it is used elsewhere or not. Well, it is used as slang in Florida, but not in the context of eating, it is something entirely different.

updated NOV 21, 2009
edited by aloshek
posted by aloshek
0

my bad. it is "jamar" not "hamar".. sorry for the spelling mistake.

updated NOV 21, 2009
posted by smalleye86
0

I don't know the word "hamar". Do you mean "hartar", which means to eat greedily?

updated NOV 21, 2009
posted by 00515f39