HomeQ&AWhat is Ash Wednesday?

What is Ash Wednesday?

3

This is for Spanish homework.

edited by Nicole-B
posted by dmaisur544
This has nothing to do with spanish but this upcoming year (2010) it will be on my birthday. - 0026910a, OCT 26, 2009
This has got to be one of the more bizzare questions I've seen on this site. - cheeseisyummy, OCT 27, 2009
I wouldn't call it bizarre at all. You could, in fact, relate it to Spanish culture, since religion is big. I'm Catholic, and I know that Ash Wednesday is one of the days where there's a huge turn up for Latinos. - yvonneibe7, OCT 27, 2009

3

In the Western Christian calendar, Ash Wednesday is the first day of Lent and occurs forty-six days (forty days not counting Sundays) before Easter.

This information is from Vikipedia. You should have Google-d for this.

updated OCT 27, 2009
posted by Zoltán
3

I know there are people on this site who know what Ash Wednesday is. However, I think you should try to find out what it is on your own first. This is a learning site. We gladly help people if they have done everything to find the answer on their own first.

So do a search. Find out what you can. If your information and the Spanish language coincide in anyway, come back and we will be glad to discuss this with you.

updated OCT 27, 2009
posted by Nicole-B
1

Ash Wednesday is a holiday. It is the first day of Lent. On this day, you can go to Mass and get ashes drawn in the shape of a cross on your forehead. I am a Catholic, and we celebrate this holiday, but I'm not sure if it is only a Catholic holiday, or if it is a Christian holiday too.

updated OCT 27, 2009
posted by alaina2
it is Christian, I'm a lutheran and we do that as well. - 0026910a, OCT 26, 2009
1

In case you need some help with the Spanish vocabulary some of the Wikipedia articles are in both English and Spanish. Click the appropriate language on the left hand bottom of the page.

Ash Wednesday in English/Spanish

updated OCT 27, 2009